What model is this?

Thanks! That’s what I suspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And, it is the later type with telescoping jaws, consistent with the probable 1950s dating; have you gone online to check out the serial number date?

Not specific to this lathe but it does include this lathe.

Be aware that many older lathes including South Bend advertised size by the overall length of the bed, where most modern lathes and many other brands of vintage lathe size by the distance between centers. This can be confusing when trying to make comparisons. Atlas / Craftsman are another common lathe that often gives size by bed length.

So with a 4 foot bed this lathe is probably around 26" between centers, not 48".

And, it is the later type with telescoping jaws, consistent with the probable 1950s dating; have you gone online to check out the serial number date?

Here’s the serial number. Seems to be 1956 according to the serial number database here: http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.html
36807f5b1ab2b24b8f3d87eda3382530.jpeg

Not sure what this number is.
510d7b78c2d550cd2c95c0f0698797a6.jpeg

So it is an overhead drive unit which is a drawback for me.
I’d have to see or photos of a similar unit to understand how it is laid out.

I’m expecting it is arranged something like this.
955b74cb2b7f348baf066a805742aee8.jpg

Last edited:
This is the current motor arrangement.
The seller says it was horizontal previously but the prior owner needed the room so changed it to this arrangement.

He also has the gear cover.
554fd78150a4aad0657a4c00b37f4fde.jpg

This is the current motor arrangement.
The seller says it was horizontal previously but the prior owner needed the room so changed it to this arrangement.

He also has the gear cover.
554fd78150a4aad0657a4c00b37f4fde.jpg

Buy that machine its the best one you have posted so far.....

Buy that machine its the best one you have posted so far.....

It seems to be a pretty decent machine. Plenty of tooling (I noticed the collet drawbar in one of the photos)
The drive system is a bit weird and will likely need some attention.
It’s missing the guards over the bull gear and the other side.

It is missing a threading dial but you can get a used one or a 3d printed one on ebay......

Back