What model is this?

It is missing a threading dial but you can get a used one or a 3d printed one on ebay......
Good catch! I had it in my head to check for it and plumb forgot.

Since the seller is in such a "take a picture" mode, have him snap a close up picture of the ways 8 to 20 inches from the headstock. That will show what kind of shape the machine is in.

I just got off the phone with the owner.
I asked about the ways as I could see a ridge in one of the photos.

Here are pics of the ways that he just sent me. He went to the lathe as we were on the phone. I asked him to run his thumbnail up the way.
He said it's a minor ridge. This photo would say it's minor.
image1.jpeg

This photo makes it look quite significant.
image2.jpeg

While fuzzy this photo doesn't seem crazy worn.
What do the experts say?
image3.jpeg

I just got off the phone with the owner.
I asked about the ways as I could see a ridge in one of the photos.

Here are pics of the ways that he just sent me. He went to the lathe as we were on the phone. I asked him to run his thumbnail up the way.
He said it's a minor ridge. This photo would say it's minor.
View attachment 307539

This photo makes it look quite significant.
View attachment 307540

While fuzzy this photo doesn't seem crazy worn.
What do the experts say?
View attachment 307541

A visual inspection can suggest problems, but the only way to really tell if there is an issue is to use an indicator on a piece of rod in the lathe and see what you get.

Somebody took a grinder to the ways on my lathe about 2/3 down towards the tail stock. It looks absolutely terrible, but it has had no effect on the operation / accuracy of the lathe. The grinding was on the top of the vee, but didn't damage the part of the vee where the carriage actually makes contact.

Mine has a little ridge like that and its as accurate as can be for a 1943

The ridge looks about the same as my SB 16". While I have not tried to quantify the wear, Doing measurements, mine appears to be fairly even 0.0XX, to 0.0 wear as you move towards the tail stock. For my needs, I do not see an issue. If I were to do long items, then I would be more concerned. I doubt I will ever have a need for super accuracies more then 10" from the headstock. Within that 10", mine has consistent wear.

Take stock of what you will do the most, and ask if the wear will affect your needs. If you are looking at doing long shafts between the centers, then it may not do you well. if the lathe in question, has lots of wear the first three inches, it may give you lots of problems.

Two important things I look at, are the ways as we have discussed fairly well. The second is the lead screw. Move the carriage to several spots, lock the half nuts, and turn the carriage wheel back and forth, and estimate the back lash. You can also physically look at the edges of the thread on the lead screw, and look for consistency. A worn leadscrew can be worked with, but if the half nuts are worn out, it can be bad, but still not necessarily a deal breaker.

We can all give opinions, but you need to take stock of your needs, and estimate how the wear will affect you. What can you put up with, and what will you need to fix? Can those things be fixed, and at what cost?

Wasn't there mention of a Hercus 260 lathe in your other thread? That would be a much more capable machine if it's within your budget.

Wasn't there mention of a Hercus 260 lathe in your other thread? That would be a much more capable machine if it's within your budget.

The auction ends in a day or so. I’m still watching it :)
It is my first choice. If I’m successful I have to figure out how to pick it up.
It’s about three hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m currently the top bidder for the Hercus. Auction ends tomorrow at 7 PDT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back