What no pilot hole? You got to see this.

No need for a pilot hole when you have HP on your side . Our carbide insert drills were 4 .25" with 50 HP at the spindle . :cautious: Sounded like bullets hitting the chip pan . :grin:

OMG. The pilot bit is 3" in size :)
I would make a pilot hole no matter what. On the other note, why he wears gloves and long sleeves.

Well, I do wear long sleeves sometimes, guilty as charged. But for gloves, if I do, it's the very thin rubber gloves.

When I was young, a big guy, well known "tough" guy, not because he's big, but he's a government person, fixing a rice grinding machine and it ripped his whole arm off.

On the other note, why he wears gloves and long sleeves

I never wear gloves around tools that you can get caught in, also for safety reasons but mainly cause I don't like how they feel (loss of feeling).

But the guy does take his gloves off when he uses the emery cloth then puts his gloves back on when done polishing. At no time did I see his gloves get close to the chuck or spinning part, even uses a chip hook everytime when needed. The guy is obviously experienced & knows what he's doing judging by the entire video.

Way back in the day , I would pin the tailstock to the carriage and run big arse spade drills thru armor plate components for the army . The American Pacemaker lathe didn't even know it was running . Chips looked like the dipping Fritos popping out of the holes :encourage:

I thought these were pretty large machines until I interviewed at Beth Steel . I saw things there that scare me to this day , and it killed one of my ex-coworkers .

Back