What no pilot hole? You got to see this.

Good response, I was hoping I wasn’t the only one.
There is another video where he cuts a quick taper then threads it in about three passes.
Blows my mind man. This guy is a pro, no doubt.

Not his first rodeo, that's for sure. Admire how he can go from one step to the next, and not skip a beat. Measure once, cut twice, you are done, next part, start again.

Not his first rodeo, that's for sure. Admire how he can go from one step to the next, and not skip a beat. Measure once, cut twice, you are done, next part, start again.
He damps out the shriek resonance with a towel tied around the work. I have not seen it done that way before.

Maybe I'm missing something but how do you put that much force drilling that large of a hole without just pushing it back in the chuck ? Maybe he had one ? I've used a vertical 36" G&L years ago with some kind of hydraulic jaws on the table that when you applied them you could put an enormous amount of pressure on the part . Now that I'm thinking of it on that machine I did drill a 3" hole without a pilot hole with a carbide spade bit .

I'm amazed at how much torque/force is generated by that operation while that large bit is held with a simple Morse taper binding fit.

On the other note, why he wears gloves and long sleeves.

Gloves, long sleeves and beanie. He's probably in an unheated shop during the fabled Russian winter. Although you can't see his breath and the coolant is liquid.

He maybe did not care that the first drilled hole was centered "by eye" because he was going to bore it out more anyway.

They probably have a pre-determined center for that morse taper holder.

Is that a single flute drill? I only ever see chips/ strings come out one side.

I'm amazed at how much torque/force is generated by that operation while that large bit is held with a simple Morse taper binding fit.

His drill bit holder did have a slot for the tang......

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot002.jpg

But still a very big hole to drill!

-brino

When I was learning how to sharpen my drills, I did a 4-facet 140 degree job on my 1" MT3 drill. It drilled thru mild steel in my PM-1236 without a pilot and without a care.

Back