What should I bid on this HLV?

Be skeptical- buying at auction you are at a disadvantage. The quicky paint job makes me nervous
-Mark

There are currently 18 similar machines listed on eBay. They range in asking prices from $3,400.00 to $21,000.00. That's quite a range. I would look it over closely, and ask to see it run. Like many high end machines if it has problems parts are extremely expensive if not unobtainable.

The repaint does give me pause. Shops selling off equipment don't usually take the time and effort to go through that process. It's usually done by sellers who paid a low enough initial price to absorb the expense in to increase the profit margin. They also rarely have any pertinent history of the machines. They have no idea whether it has been crashed or run into the ground.

It's an interesting machine, but already priced above what I would be willing to pay. It's your money and your risk. Just be sure it's an intact working machine, not a boat anchor with a shiny paint job.

I've been watching this auction as it is close to me, and I bid on some smalls. But just out of curiosity my question about the lathe is - what is the modern equivalent of this machine? I wonder what you'd have to pay to get the same functionality.

The bids doubled overnight on the Hardinge and it rather took my breath away.

Tim

It's already at what I would consider full retail price plus. I have run one, and I LOVE them, but for a hobby machinist the limited capacity makes the price hard to justify. My SB Heavy 10L has similar capacity (and I would trade straight across in a heartbeat). However, the HLV would not allow me to do anything that the SB won't, and the $10k price difference will buy a lot of tools AND tooling.

The repaint does give me pause. Shops selling off equipment don't usually take the time and effort to go through that process. It's usually done by sellers who paid a low enough initial price to absorb the expense in to increase the profit margin.

This guy is a local used machine dealer, I have been in his facility.

But just out of curiosity my question about the lathe is - what is the modern equivalent of this machine?
That is the modern equivalent, that machine is still in production.

I've been watching this auction as it is close to me, and I bid on some smalls. But just out of curiosity my question about the lathe is - what is the modern equivalent of this machine? I wonder what you'd have to pay to get the same functionality.

The bids doubled overnight on the Hardinge and it rather took my breath away.

Tim

I've never been able to find pricing info, the sites where I've seen new HLV & clones offered tend to be of the if you have to ask you can't afford it type (aka email for a quote), but I believe they are in the $30-50,000 range when new.

Take away 2 zeros, then cut it in half and you are in my budget range so I've only looked out of curiosity. ;)

Looks like in nice condition even if painted. All the writing on knobs and such are still crisp. Top shelf machine and crazy because I’ve seen these not even get a bid at auctions. After adding auction fees and taxes your gonna be every bit of 20k plus. Coming from a machine resale place I wouldn’t even place a bid. Now if it was a company going out of business auction that’s a different story. Good luck almost over.

Back