What should I look for in a mask?

What should I look for in a mask?

Mouse Droppings!

Sorry, that's the first thing that came to my mind after having had a terrible experience.

I was doing some grinding in the shop so I picked up my respirator and put it on and started grinding away. After a while I took the mask off and noticed little black spots all over the inside of it. Very dense! After further inspection I realized they were mouse droppings!

As soon as I realized what they were I started gagging and spitting like crazy! Made me feel terrible the rest of that day. Fortunately I didn't get sick from potentially inhaling mouse droppings.

Needless to say I keep my respirator in a plastic bag now and inspect it very carefully before putting it on.

Sorry for the aside, but that the first thing that came to mind when I read, "What should I look for in a mask?"

Always look for mouse droppings before you put it on. :grin:

I've got the same one as mikey and agree with everything he says about comfort.

Ted

Mouse Droppings!

Sorry, that's the first thing that came to my mind after having had a terrible experience.

I feel a bit queasy now , thanks ;)

I always keep my mask in the house (except when I forget and dont)

mainly for the reason you state , you never know whats been crawling about in it. Also I tend to wash mine out after use and hanging it indoors makes sure it gets dry and keeps clean when damp.

Stu

I feel a bit queasy now , thanks ;)

I actually threw up after making that post. I'm not kidding either. Just the memory made me sick. It was horrible. The amount of mice droppings was extreme. It was a thick layer of mouse dirt. The last time I used the mask I must have breathed a lot of moister into it and the mice must have been attracted to that and were in there lapping it up. It was seriously disgusting! :eek 2:

Now I take very great care to never leave a respirator laying around unprotected. Now I keep them in sealed plastic bags as well as mopping out any respiration moisture with a paper towel after use. In fact, I then shove a clean paper towel into the mask to act like a dehydrator. So you'll now find my respirators stored in sealed plastic bags with a clean paper towel wadded up inside the mask.

I have vowed to never let that happen again. :grin: YUCK! :eek 2:

A simple N95 rated dust/particulate mask is fine for grinding and sanding. I get the disposable ones like these

So long as they have the N95 rating they are spec'ed to deal with the dust you are talking about. Find one that you like and that fits you. They can be used multiple times if they don't get too dirty. I find overall the simple disposable ones end up being cheaper in the end, it also means I have spares for people who come work in my shop. I get them from my welding supplier and to be honest he hooks me up with a box now and then as "samples"

The problem with taking a used respirator and putting it into a ziplock is you trap the moisture in it which can then mold. The other issue Ive had using bags is the grit and swarf falls out of the filters to the inside of the bag and then ends up on the clean side of the mask. In my mind yet another plus of the throw away masks. If they are good enough to achieve the N95 rating they certainly will protect from grinding dust.

I make sure the respirator is totally dry before closing the bag. I haven't had any moisture problems. Also my mask has disposable filters.

I use one of these:

41J7eFCI06L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The filters are replaceable.

I could never find a disposable mask that will seal properly. There is always leakage of air somewhere around the mask. And when that happens the mask is virtually useless. These seal very well. I have three of these masks and a whole bunch of replacement filters. I use them for grinding, woodworking, painting, and even doing yard work to avoid breathing in pollen and allergens, These work very well and I have never had a leakage problem with them.

In fact, I have very strong allergic reactions to dust and other airborne particles. This is especially true when I go up in my attic to root through old stuff. It's very dusty up there. If I wear the mask in the photo above I have absolutely no reaction at all. Zero, zip, zilch. But if I go up in my attic with a disposable mask I start sneezing and having allergic reactions as if I didn't have any mask on at all. So as far as I'm concerned the disposable masks are totally worthless. At least for me. I haven't found one that seals properly yet. The slightest crack between my face and the mask and that dust will come straight in through that unfiltered opening. So I always use the 3M masks above. They have never failed me yet. No leakage whatsoever.

Just don't leave them unattended around any mice. :grin:

I actually threw up after making that post. I'm not kidding either. Just the memory made me sick. It was horrible. The amount of mice droppings was extreme. It was a thick layer of mouse dirt. The last time I used the mask I must have breathed a lot of moister into it and the mice must have been attracted to that and were in there lapping it up. It was seriously disgusting! :eek 2:

Now I take very great care to never leave a respirator laying around unprotected. Now I keep them in sealed plastic bags as well as mopping out any respiration moisture with a paper towel after use. In fact, I then shove a clean paper towel into the mask to act like a dehydrator. So you'll now find my respirators stored in sealed plastic bags with a clean paper towel wadded up inside the mask.

I have vowed to never let that happen again. :grin: YUCK! :eek 2:

Definitely good to take care of them :) The filters pop of mine nice and easy so I just wash with dish soap and warm water, (mask not filters) I was putting in a plastic bag but stopped as I became worried about the risk of mold in the filters from any slight remnants of moisture. Although your use of a descant should help prevent that.

A lot of brands recommend replacing the filters monthly hear in the UK , I think it's part ass covering to avoid mold or bacteria risks and litigation. I use mine until they seem no good or when I can't remember the last time I got replacements ;) . I don't use them that much mainly for when I'm grinding.

Stu

Back