What should one get with a mini lathe

Hokie_PhD

Registered
Registered
I’m looking to get a mini lathe to learn the basics on before I move into my permanent home and shop.

So I’m trying to figure out what I need to start using the lathe. I know I’ll need some tooling. And I have calipers.

So what should I plan on getting to get immediately?

I’m guessing a dial indicator and holder. I’m guessing I need other things but am not sure what else, hence the question.

PPE would be a consideration if you don't have it already- safety glasses-
avoid long sleeves, long hair, long apron ties - anything that could get caught up in spinning assemblies

for a mini lathe, i would suggest a set of inexpensive feeler gauges.
the reason being that almost no mini lathe is set up to have the cutting tool on center.
the feeler gauges stacked up under the tool will be an accurate way of putting the tool on center, for the best operation.

i would get a small supply of 1/2" round 2004 and/or 6061 aluminum, and 1/2" 12L14 round steel- these materials are forgiving for the uninitiated.
i would get a 1/4" and a 5/16" HSS blanks and learn to grind HSS. even the most rudimentary grinds are useful
Avoid carbide until you understand cutting forces and spindle speed, and speed of travel-
the differences may confuse and complicate an unnecessary learning curve.
most anything you are likely to turn will be able to be worked with HSS or HSSE tooling (both are ground in the same manner)

get some ND30 or ISO 100 oil for the ways, for general lube and gearing

a work light is advisable

calipers, micrometers, dial indicators are all useful and all will come out to play sooner or later

allen wrenches and a basic tool set is a pre-requisite too

that's what i got for now,
good luck- whichever way you go :)

When I first set up my lathe, I wanted to try it out right away. I grabbed a wood chisel and started cutting on a small aluminum rod. I got this beautiful chip, and with this encouragement, I got really excited. I quickly welded up a tool holder that I could fit a broken drill bit into, and that's how it all started. So, the first tool you should get is a square HSS blank that fits your tool holder and a grinder to sharpen it. Then go from there.

I would wait until you actually HAVE that mini before buying anything .

What fun would that be?

Who wants to buy a tool then can't use it because they don't have the things needed to at least play with it and learn how to use it?

What do you plan to make? You might want at a minimum a 0-1" micrometer and a set of drill bits.
-Mark

I"m not sure what I want to make yet. I've been thinking of that and will let you know as I figure it out.

I agree drills are on the list, especially a set of center drills.

Back