What should one get with a mini lathe

Cleanup will be important, too. A soft-bristle brush to clean off the lathe and a shop vac are handy for that. Don't use compressed air to blow debris off the lathe or bench, it spreads swarf all over the place. A good stiff-bristle carpet to get the swarf off the bottom of your shoes will help reduce (not prevent) sharp metal bits from getting into your house. I have a pair of shoes that never enter the main house, dedicated to the shop.

To repeat the caution, get yourself some goggles to keep metal out of your eyes.

Most folks who use these small lathes don't use flood coolant. For machining aluminum and brass I usually cut "dry" with no cutting oil at all. I may paint some on the last few passes to improve the surface finish. So you don't need anything fancy there. I used to use diesel as a cutting oil but it smelled pretty bad, and my shop vac still emits a strong odor of diesel. Buy a pint of cutting oil, it will last you a long time and doesn't smell too bad.

Expect to do some tweaks before you get good results. The gibs likely will need some adjusting, and the cross slide nut adjustment can be a little tricky. Same with the split nut/lead screw alignment.

Have fun, it's a great hobby!

Don't but those cheap digital calipers like harborfreight sells. These are as excellent and IMO as good as the Mitutoyo's:
6" Digital Electronic Caliper Fractional 3 Way LCD Stainless EZ Cal By iGaging | eBay

This digital mic is very good too:
0.001 mm electronic outside micrometer 0 25 mm with Extra Large LCD Screen digital micrometer electronic Digital Caliper gauge| | - AliExpress

Some 1st project ideas:
Carriage stop
Wood handles for those files (use old copper pipe for the ferrule)
3 jaw chuck front spider: (can make from wood too)
Easy build spider for small lathe | Home Model Engine Machinist

I’m looking to get a mini lathe to learn the basics on before I move into my permanent home and shop.

So I’m trying to figure out what I need to start using the lathe. I know I’ll need some tooling. And I have calipers.

So what should I plan on getting to get immediately?

I’m guessing a dial indicator and holder. I’m guessing I need other things but am not sure what else, hence the question.

I purchased a mini-lathe last year and have been slowly purchasing tools as I go. The first thing I wanted to do on the lathe was threading. I ended up purchasing some steel round stock and lathe oil from nearest ENCO and

- HSS Threading Tool bit
- HSS Tool bit blanks
- Harbor freight Grinder
- Quick Change Tool Post
- Tailstock Chuck
- Running Center
- Feeler Gauge
- Center Gauge
- Angle Protractor

Back