What should one get with a mini lathe

This is just diplomacy on my part.
Q: What should one get with a mini lathe?
A: A bigger lathe.

I agree but until I build the shop building I have to start with a mini lathe.

Plus I think a mini lathe is a good place to learn some basics. And it seems that all of the "fixes", hacks, upgrades, and such for the mini lathe seem like a good way to learn some skills.

Get the lathe first, determine what will fit the lathe, then:

3 jaw chuck, if it doesn't come with one
4 jaw chuck, if you can only have one chuck, it should be a 4 jaw.
Dial indicator with a magnetic base, Noga is good
Quick change tool post and half a dozen tool holders
Chip brushes
Way oil
Spindle oil
A good light for over top of the lathe
Sturdy bench to mount the lathe to
Some high speed tool steel cutting bit
High speed tool steel parting blade

And the list goes on....

I agree but until I build the shop building I have to start with a mini lathe.

Plus I think a mini lathe is a good place to learn some basics. And it seems that all of the "fixes", hacks, upgrades, and such for the mini lathe seem like a good way to learn some skills.

You're right, the principles and operations are the same. And if you fall into turning fountain pens (I'm serious, it's a big sub-group) you'll be set. As for me, I'm dying to move up to a 14-16" lathe, mostly because I don't have room for a bed over 40".

Chip brushes
Way oil
Spindle oil

And the list goes on....

Thanks these are the basics that I figured. So it's nice to confirm what I'm thinking.

You're right, the principles and operations are the same. And if you fall into turning fountain pens (I'm serious, it's a big sub-group) you'll be set. As for me, I'm dying to move up to a 14-16" lathe, mostly because I don't have room for a bed over 40".

I know I won't be making pens. But the more videos I watch, and the more I think about things I do and like, the more I can think of how a lathe and mill would be so handy.

Plus they're two of the few tools I don't have. (I have a pretty good assortment of mechanics and carpentry/woodworking tools).

Chip brushes <---------------------------------------------------- IMPORTANT, also good for applying lube
Way oil
Spindle oil

And the list goes on....

Great list! It took me a while to accumulate this stuff. I still don't have a 3 jaw (but I don't have any hex stock in the rack). A chip brush or two is worth its weight in gold, especially for those who like to brush chips away while the lathe is running. Do not feel the surface finish while the part is still turning. If it is rough, you can touch it with some sandpaper AFTER removing it from the lathe. Filing and sanding on a rotating part is a more advanced skill that will come later. Too much chance for mishap at the beginning.

Don't forget about a couple files and some Emory paper

Do you recommend a decent brand/supplier of files?

I know file prices and quality are all over the place. So I have no clue as to what is good and what is junk. Worse, I have no idea what is a good value prosumer grade file at a reasonable price. So any recommendations are very much appreciated as I'm frustrated spending money on files and getting junk.

Way back when I was in trade school when we first learned the lathe our tool kit consisted of a layout dye, a 6" scale, combination square, hermaphordite caliber, a scribe, fish tail (60 degree thread gauge), and a 0 to 1' micrometer. Our first half dozen or so projects only required that minimal tool set. As we progressed we added things like a dial indicator and magnetic stand, depth micrometer or vernier caliper. small hole and telescoping gauges, radius gauges, etc. Point being is you don't need a box full of tools to make some beginner projects like screw jacks, a hammer, a tap follower, etc.

Back