What substance is messier and harder to clean up than anti-seize grease

They say nothing is as slick as owl ****. Go in a barn and step on it . You will be on your ass right now.

Fluorine-based high vacuum grease is pretty terrible. No ordinary solvent dissolves it, and it's so thick that lint-free cloths just push it around. But it REALLY fails the "cheap" part of the OP's specification.

For something cheap that can be stubborn to remove, pine or fir sap would qualify. It always seems to be located where I grab a piece of wood.

That silicone grease is the same way. No hand cleaner or solvent dents it and you can’t wipe it off. I first discovered it when I had to repack somewhere north of 50 little sealed bearings in a special fruit singulator. I couldn‘t wear gloves because the bearing were tiny and weaseling the dust seals out was tricky. Then cleaning and packing with the silicone grease was a mess even with a syringe to inject into the bearings. The stuff is incredible for stopping bearing failure though. Always wondered how it could be “food grade” when it had Teflon in it. It is now way cheaper than it used to be.

@GunsOfNaverone, Kero and JetA1 are very similar, as is diesel fuel and can be used almost interchangeably, the big difference is JetA1 has additives to reduce the chance of explosion in a crash and to keep it from freezing at 35,000 feet where it is -65°F pretty much year round. JetA1 Stinks real bad compaired to Kero, and the stink con not be gotten out of fabric, so once spilled you will know it forever. Diesel also stinks real bad and is a very dirty fuel That is why diesel engines have the massively huge fuel filters. Diesel also burns a bit hotter than the other 2. That is why I run Kero in all of my jet engines, the others are to stinky.

Grease and lube - pfffffft......

Carbon black.

Older printer toner also.
Back in the seventies, I worked as an analytical chemist for Ray O Vac. We used carbon black in zinc carbon batteries. The carbon black was basically lamp soot, particles of microscopic size. We had a fellow by the name of Steve who worked for the International Division but was based out of the Madison, Wisconsin office. Steve did a lot of international travel. On one occasion, he was coming back through customs with a several pound box of carbon black for our lab to evaluate. The customs agent insisted on opening the box to inspect the contents. Steve handed him the box and stepped back several paces. The agent opened the box , fairly covering the room with the fine black powder.

Glitter. I don't know why it exists in this world. My younger sister used to do some art with it YEARS ago, and I'll still occasionally find a speck on my face. If you're pulling a prank, glitter will lose you a friendship lol.

My vote is for the dip style carburetor cleaner. I was real careful but slipped up and didn't wear gloves to blow one last part out. Big mistake. hands stunk for a week. They say if you spill it on concrete its smells forever. I now use and store it only in the barn.

Back