What to practice on lathe

If it has flats, you can use a regular tool holder. Use the thickest bar that will fit, minimize stick-out.

Body came out great, made two cuts on the lid before the wife said bed time. I wont be able to work on it until Monday evening.
Thanks for all the help and support.

If yu own a Mill as well a pair of Machinist Jacks comes to mind as a useful pratice project.
Man, I would love to have 4 machinist's jacks. I have no clue on specs for those...where's finger drawing guy when you need him?? Seriously though, any rough measurements for these? I know they lift a ridiculous amount of weight, hardened steel bolts for sure, anything special about the base?

You can buy a attachment to do milling on your lathe... only thing is they aren't that fantastic. Rigidity is very hard to accomplish with them so its hard to be to accurate and you can usually only work with small parts.

Got the little 1" round aluminum container roughed out.
I think it needs a little finishing work.
Maybe an O ring on the neck and some grooves or decorative embellishments for style.
Let me know what you think.
The boring of the holes and getting the bottom of the hole flat is tough, maybe I need a different tool. I just used a indexable carbide boring bar.
The lid fits fairly tight, creates a little vacuum pressure and snaps closed on the last 1/8" before touching the base.

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

Nice! That nipple at the top, is your cutting tool centered or was that cut iff, not faced?
I'm always carrying meds....I should have a fancy container!

Looking good! If you have a knurler you could knurl the top and a part of the bottom. Then round off the top and chamfer the bottom of the bottle. Maybe grind a round nose form tool for some decorative grooves on the main bottle portion. Next bottle needs a screw on top. Lots of fun when you make something useful on your new lathe. Threading is very easy to do single point if you read some of the tips and tricks by the pro's on the forum. They have helped me a tremendous amount. Your first knurl or thread gives a huge amount of confidence and a great feeling of accomplishment.

Roy

Back