What to start with , tooling , accesories ect

That is a clean looking machine. That machine will be perfectly fine to learn on. I say as most. Just get the basics HSS a grinder to sharpen your tools on. Make sure to pick up some Brass, Aluminum and some mild steel round stock. Then just start cutting and experimenting with all. You will quickly learn what grind works for each material.

You don’t even need to make anything in particular. Just get to know the machine.

Then after a bit you will know if you want to continue in machining. Then start expanding your tools.

Most importantly in my book is to just have fun.

Cutting oil is my blood.

One more thing. My 2 favorite YouTube people are Quinn from Blondie hacks and mr Pete. You cannot go wrong with either if you want to learn.

Cutting oil is my blood.

You can’t beat that deal ! Did you happen to get any of the change gears , other accessories ? I have an older “ lathe only “ version .
From what I see and from what was told everything that came with it is there. There is a box of gears
Im still cleaning and finding loose nuts and bolts.
I did a quick adjustment of the “cradle” it was sloppy, then I tried to take up the back lash on the cross slide. Its sloppy.
A quick look I found the screws on the rear of the adjustment screw just hanging out of the threads and basically hanging on by gunk.
I had to free up all the oil buttons and Im pretty sure I need to tear it all down and clean up the oil journals/flutes.
Just giving it a good oiling helped wonders. Im sure the gibs and ways need a solid cleaning.
I dont take the best pictures but here is a few . Just snugging up these so they would not fall out had a noticeable decrease in back lash.
Oil passages are crusty and in need of cleaning. At least its not all packed with grease.
256119DD-524C-479C-A1C6-181DBBE11306.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B205F47-0666-4F0A-BC1F-71828E0917A8.jpeg
    0B205F47-0666-4F0A-BC1F-71828E0917A8.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 39858F6B-70FF-468D-B557-70426C2A09AF.jpeg
    39858F6B-70FF-468D-B557-70426C2A09AF.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 43700CB0-359B-4421-B823-84142AB8D729.jpeg
    43700CB0-359B-4421-B823-84142AB8D729.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 12
That is a clean looking machine. That machine will be perfectly fine to learn on. I say as most. Just get the basics HSS a grinder to sharpen your tools on. Make sure to pick up some Brass, Aluminum and some mild steel round stock. Then just start cutting and experimenting with all. You will quickly learn what grind works for each material.

You don’t even need to make anything in particular. Just get to know the machine.

Then after a bit you will know if you want to continue in machining. Then start expanding your tools.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Im a auto tech and when I look at this I just see a machine thats passed through a few owners with minimal use and no maintenance.
My big problem is lack of space
Its going to live in my shed for a while so im limitted to day light and warm days. Come winter she will get rust preventive measures and put aside

Cutting oil is my blood.
I have a few projects in mind that dont need any real accuracy
Also have a old lawn tractor I would like to replace the crappy plastic bushings with bronze on the steering shaft.

That machine will clean up like new with a bit of love. Simple maintenance and adjustment. It looks to be well tooled to boot. That was a dealio for sure!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Looks like you already have everything you need to get started. Those carbide tipped bits will work but probably worth getting a few HSS bits to grind and learn.

As an auto tech you’ll fit right in with this hobby. I got frustrated with my 3 in 1 but would probably have done better if I had this place back then.

Keep reading and asking questions. In a few years you’ll have your shop built wit a full size lathe and Bridgeport.

You’ve found your “tribe” here :cool:

John

I third Mr. Pete. Grind some HSS tool bits to directions in the books. Most be a thousand different sources showing angles. The bits are set dead on the center-line for cutting. You will need some good dial calipers and dial indicators to start. They are for indicating run-out and for measuring diameters and length. Look ahead at what you want to make and get information on the different ways to achieve it and then look at making or buying tools.

Smithy has a set of videos on how to use their machines.
I have calipers, mics, dial indicators , bases and mounts I have collected. Over the years working on cars and firearms.

Here is the current backlash in the crosssled

That’s quite a bit but it shouldn’t matter, as the lash will be taken up when you perform a cutting operation. It may make threading a little more work, with all the back and forth. Some cross-slide nuts have lash adjustment.

Back