WHAT TOOL TO USE?????

just read the 1st post and can now understand but will send another pic of mine just to make sure, thanx again

Last edited:
heres what I got from your recent pictures and info, the last 4 am unsure of

1 is for parting etc.
2 is RH turning
3 internal threading
4 LH turning
the next bottom 4 am unsure of

Attachments

• 100_3541.JPG
    100_3541.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The ones under the “?” are (top to bottom):

Chamfer

External threading

External threading

Also:

I’m very glad to see that you have them all oriented correctly.

I do consider “LH Turning Tool” and “Facing Tool” to be synonymous. Along these lines, it is very rare when I need to turn away from the headstock (LH turning). It is even more rare when I need to face radially outward.

Very nearly 100% of the time, I face from the outside in; if the cutting tool is not centered perfectly, this results in a nub. If the nub has perfectly straight sides, your tool is too low. If the nub has a rounded profile, your tool is set too high.

Last edited:

Chamfer

External threading

External threading

wonderful! am assuming thier all on the top side, correct?

Yes. You have them marked correctly. It looks like the factory put the etching on the top of the tool.
thiers actually etching on 2 sides " top and bottom " and the one on top that sez " form 7 etc.
is that spose to mean something??

just noticed each tool is numbered 1 -8

Chamfer

External threading

External threading

Also:

I do consider “LH Turning Tool” and “Facing Tool” to be synonymous. Along these lines, it is very rare when I need to turn away from the headstock (LH turning). It is even more rare when I need to face radially outward.

Very nearly 100% of the time, I face from the outside in; if the cutting tool is not centered perfectly, this results in a nub. If the nub has perfectly straight sides, your tool is too low. If the nub has a rounded profile, your tool is set too high.
yes sir, I learned that center tool thing in the beginning

I think the third one down from the top (9) in post #22 is actually an internal boring tool- doesn't look like the right shape for threading
The first one of the ? tools sure resembles an external threading tool. The 3 below that could be used for cutting pulley sheaves- I have made some like that when I needed to make a small pulley
-Mark

Last edited:
Back