What tooling can be made by an ammeter

i have a hercus 9 inch and a fritz werner universal mill the mill is currently being rebuilt but the lathe is working they look similar to these two
1623492789057.png1623492811403.png

With those two "basic" tools, the only limitations are the size of the machines and, most importantly, your skills. If you start with something simple, like a drift punch, it gives the skill to make a center punch, which then becomes the basis for a plumb bob. Each skill builds on the work performed before, adding a piece here and a piece there until, one day, you find you are a Master. Much of my work is around tooling specific to my hobby that either is "no longer available" or never was produced. The only limitations you must face are time and your own experience. Given time, even small machines can do a "work-around" on oversize needs.

Those are some nice starter tools! There are plenty of web resources as others here have pointed out. You might search for some of Rudy Kouhoupt's articles or projects. These are mostly model making projects but the majority of them seem to start with nothing but a small lathe (unimate and myford, smaller than yours)! I believe that volume 1 of this series starts out by making a test indicator - you can't get much more basic than that!: "The shop wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt"

Mr Pete aka Tubalcain is an excellent learning source. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. His videos start with the very basics and build from there. I think that I have watched most of them and some several times. My go to source whenever I am looking for info on how to do something. There are others that have lots of handy hints once you gain experience but you can't beat Mr Pete for the basics.

I have a Hercus AR, but with the horizontal belt setup instead of the vertical as shown. A very capable machine. You will do a lot of good work with yours.

i made this today on my dads lathe sorry about the bad photos

Attachments

• WIN_20210614_14_24_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210614_14_24_16_Pro.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 15
  • WIN_20210614_14_23_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210614_14_23_46_Pro.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 15
That’s a good start, and you’ll get better as you get more more practise. :encourage:

Lots of times when I’m teaching myself a new skill I pick one aspect of it that I want to improve on and try to really get that nailed. I may do a bunch of different projects but still focus on that one aspect so I get to know how to be good at it. Then I pick the next thing to improve, and so on. I guess it’s breaking a compound process into individual challenges, sometimes it’s easier to understand and it’s also a good way to monitor your progress because you see results right away. Everyone learns differently though, the main thing is keep trying!

-frank

i forgot about the tip of te drill being conical and drilled 1 hole to shallow
oops

Back