Where to Buy Tools and How to Not Overspend?

Michael303

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to take a basic machine shop class and they've given me a list of tools and equipment (below) that I should have for the class. My first question is, what are the preferred online shops to buy this stuff or should I try and shop the local machine supply house first? Next, what basic items should I not be afraid to spend money on and what items should I not overspend on?

Any feedback is appreciated.

The list:
#2 center drill
5/16" or 1/4" HSS lathe tool bit blanks
6" dial caliper
Mighty Mag, indicator holder
0-2” Dial Indicator
6" steel rule
60-degree center gauge
Assorted files with handles
Carbide tipped scribe
115 piece Drill Bit Set
320, 400, 600 Grit Wet/Dry Polishing Paper (2 sheets each)
Layout dye
Safety Glasses
Thread pitch gauge
6" or 8" adjustable wrench
Allen wrench set up to 3/8”
Gunsmith pin punch set
4oz Ballpein Hammer
Pliers
Screwdrivers
Metric Allen wrench set

Does it have to be a dial caliper? With my old eyes I prefer a digital caliper. Something like this Mitutoyo. They make pretty good quality products for medium prices and this is something you will use for your entire career. More expensive than a dial caliper but, to my way of thinking, worth it.

Of course, if reading a dial caliper is part of the training then the above is a mute point.

Good luck.

Showing up with Chicom tools doesn't show much commitment to the trade.
If you intend to make a career (or serious hobby) of it, buy quality tools.
No single source has consistently lowest cost on everything. You'll have to shop.
Get on the MSC, Penn Tool and Travers Tool mailing lists and shop from their monthly sale flyers for the basics.
Buy USA drill bits and other cutters.
The 115 piece drill set could easily be $300.
If your instructor want's you to have a dial caliper (rather than digital) any cheap one will do. You'll probably want to upgrade to digital.

Edit: No micrometer on the list???

Last edited:
E-Bay will get you some good deals also.

The hand tools on the bottom of the list are tools that you will use forever, buy once cry once. Cheap Allen wrenches are the worst! I would advise against ball end Allen wrenches, you can get some later but start out with standard "L" shaped ones without ball ends.

As Shooty pointed out, the inexpensive tools are Chinese which are variable in quality. The answer to your question depends on
how pinched you are budget wise and how quickly you need the tools. The dial indicator and caliper should be good quality
tools: these folks sell rebuilt tools at good prices. https://shop.idealprec.com/collections Look on their website for "Used/Demo".
You won't go wrong with Mitutoyo brand tools. Ted's suggestion of CL and Facebook is also good if you have the time. Basic hand
tools like wrenches and pliers can also be picked up for practically nothing at pawn shops and they usually have bucket loads of them.
I've also bought good quality American tools off eBay. Having said all that, you probably are pressed for time, so these sources may
not be an option. If you need this stuff fast, I'd go to Ideal Precision for the indicators, Shars for the other machinist stuff and local
for hand tools, paper, safety glasses etc.

edit: I left Harbor Freight off the list because their quality is so variable. Some of their stuff is OK and some of it complete junk.

Last edited:
The hand tools on the bottom of the list are tools that you will use forever, buy once cry once. Cheap Allen wrenches are the worst! I would advise against ball end Allen wrenches, you can get some later but start out with standard "L" shaped ones without ball ends.
I agree about the ball end allen wrenches. They aren't nearly as strong as the standard ones. I've snapped off the ball end on more than one (and they were from a decent Bondhus allen wrench set). It usually leaves enough of a nub on the end to prevent you from using it as a standard one (until you grind the nub off).

Reactions: jcp
Back