Where to Buy Tools and How to Not Overspend?

Files - Nicholson is fine. I've picked up still good ones at "second use" stores too.
Measurement tools. I've had bad luck with cheap measurement tools. Mitutoyo is the way I go for the most part.

Not to add to your list but if you don't have them...

Grinder
Micrometer
Machinist's square(s)
Center punch

I vote on this. spend money on good quality:
  • 6" Calipers (Mitutoyo Digimatic are my favorite)
  • 0-1" Digital micrometer
  • 0.0005" Dial Test Indicator
Then cut corners on the rest to start with. I like mid grade imports for most of my stuff (Shars, CDCO, etc.). After a little while, you'll learn what is important to you and you can invest in higher quality tools. If you buy the best of everything to start, you'll be broke.

@Michael303, Welcome to HM, we are all friendly here and more than happy to help spend your money. If you can enlighten us if this is a career or a hobby for you, we might tailor our responses as such.

For a career, these tools are an investment. As a hobby, we try to get tools to enable us to do the most we can while spending the least.

Wow, thank you, everyone. I didn't expect so much good feedback already.

Does it have to be a dial caliper? With my old eyes I prefer a digital caliper. Something like this Mitutoyo. They make pretty good quality products for medium prices and this is something you will use for your entire career. More expensive than a dial caliper but, to my way of thinking, worth it.

Of course, if reading a dial caliper is part of the training then the above is a mute point.

Good luck.
I don't imagine it has to be a dial caliper. I understand how to read one but I can't imagine there's any benefit over a Mitutoyo which I happen to have but it was something I was looking into.

Showing up with Chicom tools doesn't show much commitment to the trade.
If you intend to make a career (or serious hobby) of it, buy quality tools.
No single source has consistently lowest cost on everything. You'll have to shop.
Get on the MSC, Penn Tool and Travers Tool mailing lists and shop from their monthly sale flyers for the basics.
Buy USA drill bits and other cutters.
The 115 piece drill set could easily be $300.
If your instructor want's you to have a dial caliper (rather than digital) any cheap one will do. You'll probably want to upgrade to digital.

Edit: No micrometer on the list???
At this point, this is a hobby interest but I am at a point in life where it could be a professional interest if I like it enough. I appreciate good value and quality level appropriate for the job so I'll check out the places you've listed. I noticed the micrometer was missing too but I planned on buying one after going through the "What should I have to start" thread. Thanks.

Here is a list of vendors of interest to machinists.
Thank you for the resource!

I vote on this. spend money on good quality:
  • 6" Calipers (Mitutoyo Digimatic are my favorite)
  • 0-1" Digital micrometer
  • 0.0005" Dial Test Indicator
Then cut corners on the rest to start with. I like mid grade imports for most of my stuff (Shars, CDCO, etc.). After a little while, you'll learn what is important to you and you can invest in higher quality tools. If you buy the best of everything to start, you'll be broke.
Thank you for the input on these items.

@Michael303, Welcome to HM, we are all friendly here and more than happy to help spend your money. If you can enlighten us if this is a career or a hobby for you, we might tailor our responses as such.

For a career, these tools are an investment. As a hobby, we try to get tools to enable us to do the most we can while spending the least.
Sorry, I should have given this detail. At this point, it's going to be a hobby focusing on pistol smithing but I'm exploring as a possible profession too.

Unless your instructor specifically requires traditional slip joint pliers, I would recommend Vise Grips. They will anything the slip joint pliers will and so much more. The 10WR with curved jaws and wire cutter are the most useful in my opinion and if I had just one pair, it would be them. A long nosed Vise Grip like the 6LN would be a good second pair. Go with the original, not look-alikes. For drills, stay away from cheap Chineses sets. An exception might be the Harbor Freight cobalt drills. I have not used them personally but have seen good reviews of them.

A 4 oz. hammer is light weight. My smallest hammer is 9 oz. You can use light taps with a heavier hammer but it is difficult to deliver a heavy blow with a light hammer. For an adjustable wrench, go with the 8" rather than a 6". Many machinists are now using Sharpies rather than layout dye. They're more convenient and have other uses.

If you have the time, flea mkts are a good source too.

As Shooty pointed out, the inexpensive tools are Chinese which are variable in quality. The answer to your question depends on
how pinched you are budget wise and how quickly you need the tools. The dial indicator and caliper should be good quality
tools: these folks sell rebuilt tools at good prices. https://shop.idealprec.com/collections Look on their website for "Used/Demo".
You won't go wrong with Mitutoyo brand tools. Ted's suggestion of CL and Facebook is also good if you have the time. Basic hand
tools like wrenches and pliers can also be picked up for practically nothing at pawn shops and they usually have bucket loads of them.
I've also bought good quality American tools off eBay. Having said all that, you probably are pressed for time, so these sources may
not be an option. If you need this stuff fast, I'd go to Ideal Precision for the indicators, Shars for the other machinist stuff and local
for hand tools, paper, safety glasses etc.

edit: I left Harbor Freight off the list because their quality is so variable. Some of their stuff is OK and some of it complete junk.

I was unaware of the metrology source you linked to so I took a look and have added it to my Bookmarks. Thanks for posting.
I browsed through the DEMO/USED/OVERSTOCK DEAL$ listings but the only thing I was motivated to purchase was "Out of Stock". Nuts.

@Michael303
Looking through the DEMO/USED/OVERSTOCK DEAL$ listings should help you by providing pricing information on a range of brands and tools in good working order (assumed). I thought the prices shown were fair enough.

Shars for sure. Even at Shars, keep in mind of buy it once, not twice. They have cheap, mid and hi price, depending what it is, always try to stay at the mid range or better. I bought their cheapest center drill bits, then went back and bought their best carbide versions....day and night difference. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted buying things twice. I don't know if there is a one stop shop for everything, I just keep a close eye out and buy it when it drops in price. A "secret" I use, since Amazon has EVERYTHING, made by everyone, make a wish list of everything you want. Sign up at Camel, Camel, Camel and shar your list. When the price drops, you'll immediately get and email. I once scored a Kurt 6" adjustable pin jaws, normally $360, for $145. It's pretty amazing what you'll get if your not in a rush. That's the key, try not to be in a rush.

Back