Where to Buy Tools and How to Not Overspend?

The 115 piece drill set could easily be $300.
If your instructor want's you to have a dial caliper (rather than digital) any cheap one will do. You'll probably want to upgrade to digital.

Edit: No micrometer on the list???
No micrometer? I have a Mitutoyo mechanical digital that I really like.
4 oz ballpeen seems really light.
Even your short list will get expensive if you buy all quality tools. AND there are a lot more things you will want soon.
Watch out for knock off brand name stuff on eBay.

Thanks again everyone for the input.
Unless your instructor specifically requires traditional slip joint pliers, I would recommend Vise Grips. They will anything the slip joint pliers will and so much more. The 10WR with curved jaws and wire cutter are the most useful in my opinion and if I had just one pair, it would be them. A long nosed Vise Grip like the 6LN would be a good second pair. Go with the original, not look-alikes. For drills, stay away from cheap Chineses sets. An exception might be the Harbor Freight cobalt drills. I have not used them personally but have seen good reviews of them.
A 4 oz. hammer is light weight. My smallest hammer is 9 oz. You can use light taps with a heavier hammer but it is difficult to deliver a heavy blow with a light hammer. For an adjustable wrench, go with the 8" rather than a 6". Many machinists are now using Sharpies rather than layout dye. They're more convenient and have other uses.
Thanks for the tips on those specific items.
Files - Nicholson is fine. I've picked up still good ones at "second use" stores too.
Measurement tools. I've had bad luck with cheap measurement tools. Mitutoyo is the way I go for the most part.

Not to add to your list but if you don't have them...

Grinder
Micrometer
Machinist's square(s)
Center punch
Thanks for the tips. Are we talking about an angle grinder or something else?
I was unaware of the metrology source you linked to so I took a look and have added it to my Bookmarks. Thanks for posting.
I browsed through the DEMO/USED/OVERSTOCK DEAL$ listings but the only thing I was motivated to purchase was "Out of Stock". Nuts.

@Michael303
Looking through the DEMO/USED/OVERSTOCK DEAL$ listings should help you by providing pricing information on a range of brands and tools in good working order (assumed). I thought the prices shown were fair enough.
I'll take a look. Thanks!
Shars for sure. Even at Shars, keep in mind of buy it once, not twice. They have cheap, mid and hi price, depending what it is, always try to stay at the mid range or better. I bought their cheapest center drill bits, then went back and bought their best carbide versions....day and night difference. I can't tell you how much money I've wasted buying things twice. I don't know if there is a one stop shop for everything, I just keep a close eye out and buy it when it drops in price. A "secret" I use, since Amazon has EVERYTHING, made by everyone, make a wish list of everything you want. Sign up at Camel, Camel, Camel and shar your list. When the price drops, you'll immediately get and email. I once scored a Kurt 6" adjustable pin jaws, normally $360, for $145. It's pretty amazing what you'll get if your not in a rush. That's the key, try not to be in a rush.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure about Amazon since there's so much crap and I'm unfamiliar with the quality of different brands. I am a big fan of 3Camel though!

I have several sets of harbor freight drill bits. Cobalt and ti coated hss. The cobalt are definitely better but the other ones work well too. I'm rough on drill bits. I also have the silver and demming bits 9/16 to 1" they come in extremely handy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I do ! It's downstairs . :) :grin:
Let's see....your basement...great deal on quality tools, airline tickets from Colorado to Maryland....priceless! Seriously though...whatcha got? Nothing posted in the For Sale area?

Back