Which Drills to buy

As others have mentioned I would buy a fractional set in 1/64th increments up to 1/2". In addition I would buy a number set from 1 to 60. Unlike others I would also buy a letter set from A to Z. As for the Chineesium ones it's a pig in a poke. Some are good while others will leave you more than frustrated. I would stick with name brands like Cleveland, Triumph, Precision, Chicago Latrobe, and others. They're a bit more expensive, but in my opinion well worth the money. I would say that 90+% of my drills are either bright HSS or black oxide coated. I do have some cobalt and Carbide, but in the scheme of things they don't get used often enough to consider them at this point.

As you need replacements I would buy them by the package. Depending on the size they generally come in packages of 6, 10, or 12. You'll find the per unit price far less when buying by the pack. As for eBay I've found lots of good prices. Just be sure to check the eBay asking price against vendors like Minnesota Twist Drill, Zoro, and others. As I've mentioned in other posts many eBay vendors look at a "suggested list" price and ask the same or a portion of that price. Just like cars hardly anyone actually pays "list Price".

I also recommend getting a 3-in-1 set. That will cover everything you will ever need in jobber length drills up to 1/2. Mine is an import set bought about 35 years ago for (IIRC) about $120. Based on the feedback, I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the HF cobalt sets to get started. When you break a drill, replace it with U.S. or Japanese made. Don't worry about metric drills until you need them (which I never have). Stub length are great for starting without spot drilling, but only get the necessary tap drill sizes. I sometimes make my own stub length drills (unintentionally).

Edit: And DEFINITELY learn how to sharpen drills by hand. It's not that hard.

Last edited:
As far as drill sets go the only ones I've purchased were back in the 1970's when I owned a repair shop. Since then I've only replaced the broken ones, and sharpened the dull ones until there's nothing left. For years I would take them to work and use their Darex grinder. When that shop closed I tried to buy that grinder, but it was stolen before I could pick it up.

About 20 years ago I bought a Drill Doctor. It worked fine for a while, but being mainly made out of plastic it eventually wore out. I now have a Black Diamond drill grinder. It was originally purchased by a local National Guard repair depot. Why they bought it I'll never know. It's a 220V 3 phase machine, and the repair depot didn't have 3 phase power.

It sat in a corner from 1974 to 2014 when the depot closed. It was purchased at auction by a local shop as part of a lot. They didn't really want it, so once again it sat in the corner. A couple years ago they downsized and offered me the machine at a price I couldn't refuse. I've had it a few years and it's more than paid for itself.

When my Drill Doctor died I just kept throwing dull drills in cans and boxes. About a year ago I hunted down all the boxes and began the mind numbing task of sharpening the drills. I had accumulated nearly 500 in the interim. They're finally all sharpened and put in the proper places. I now sharpen when the stack approaches 50. Then it only takes around an hour to complete the job. This machine can sharpen fractional drills from 1/16" to 1/2", letter drills from A to Z, and number drills from 1 to 60

On Edit: It can sharpen fractional sizes from 1/16" to 3/4"

Here's a picture of the Black Diamond:

DSC00008A.jpg
DSC09988A.JPG

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one that replaces one dull drill bit with a another full set . :grin:
I think I now have some insight into your tool inventory situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he replaces lathes & mills too when the oil gets dirty!

Like I said before Dave, my trash bin is always empty for you to use! :big grin:

You're gonna need a more biggery place ! :big grin: If it's not tools , it's tractors . If it's not tractors , it's 4 wheelers . If it's not 4 wheelers , it's cars and trucks , if it's not cars and trucks , it's antiques , or toys , furniture , woodstoves , :surrender:

You're gonna need a more bigger place ! :big grin: If it's not tools , it's tractors . If it's not tractors , it's 4 wheelers . If it's not 4 wheelers , it's cars and trucks , if it's not cars and trucks , it's antiques , or toys , furniture , woodstoves , :surrender:

disbelief.gifhurra.gifbuddies.gif

My new best friend!

A lot of this stuff is on it's way out this April . Always have a weekend long yard sale and do pretty good at ridding myself of some un-wanteds .

Hey Evan, gotta' tell you this story. I spotted a brand new set of Titex cobalt drills and matching taps on ebay. It was a micro set for holes up to 10-32, complete with the tap handle to drive them; retail for this set was over $300.00, if I recall correctly. Opening bid was $5.00, with free shipping, and the auction ended at something like 3am, Hawaii time. I guess I was the only one awake at the time and I won that set. I felt sorry for the seller, poor guy. When I have to tap tiny holes in stainless, this set comes out.
Sounds like you're all set for a second career in implant dentistry!

Back