Which Drills to buy

I can’t count how many drill sets I’ve bought in the 25yrs doing so but I can tell you that these fifty dollar drill bits through drill hog are the best dollar for dollar set Ive ever bought. I’ve bought sets through Lawson tools, ,McMaster, snap on, craftsman, of comparable size and quality and paid three times the price and they won’t warranty them but theyll sell you another.
Price out a set of comparable size and quality and report back on your price. Their are many manufacturers out there that have their line and customers line running side by side which 3of the 4 I listed above do so. I don’t care if drill hog is making the bits I do care that they have a great product and honor their warranty without a hiccup. Show me someone that can compare???

Again you're buying drills from unknown manufacturers. Craftsman continually switches suppliers, so you have no idea who actually made them. For all you know they may be rebranded from HF. As for Snap On the only drills I've ever seen from them are labeled "Blue Point" this is the label they put on tools and tooling purchased from contract vendors, unlike the Snap On brand which once upon a time was made in company owned facilities here in the US. As for Lawson I would classify them as middle to low middle of the road. I used them extensively when in the auto repair business, mainly because it was the brand stocked by most auto parts houses. They were adequate, but not in the same class as Cleveland, Precision, and Triumph, which I would rate as high middle of the road.

If you really want to spend more money check out Guhring, OSG, or Karnasch. Personally I've had the best performance and durability with the 3 brands I mentioned as "high middle of the road". Other brands that I' haven't tried yet, but are of interest are Viking, and Norseman.

Back