Which FB Groups Would You Consider for Machinists?

Nothing social about social media. Its one of the greatest evils ever unleashed on the human race IMHO….
This is not just hyperbole, the amount of derangement it has caused buy some at the profit of the few is amazing. I'd always stayed away as I just don't have that need but I'm glad i never went that route. H-M and a music site is my idea of soc-med.

Not surprised at the response.

Personally I prefer the forum format, but there is some value to FB groups, for one things that is where a lot activity has moved to. I have found it most useful for narrow topics, to some extent it has taken the place of the old Yahoo groups because it is easy to set up a group for a very niche subject.

I find the usefulness of these groups to be different than this forum. I see a lot more "stuff" being made in the FB groups, a lot more how to being done on this forum, so they have different value to me. Also following this forum you would think nobody owns a lathe smaller than 12x36" as there is a subtle bias against small machines here. In FB groups for smaller machines it is far more obvious that people do in fact own and use these smaller machines.

I'm not terribly active on FB but I follow a lot of groups. Because of the way I follow things I don't often notice which specific group a post comes from, so hard to say which ones are "better" than others.

The machinist FB groups I follow, most of these are fairly active.

Home Hobby machine shop and tools
Bench top metal lathes and mills or home shops
Sherline lathe and mill group
Atlas and craftsman lathes
Home hobby machinist buy sell and trade
Home machine shop
Logan lathe
Dunlap Atlas Craftsman 109 lathe
Amateur watchmaking
Hobby machinist projects
Atlas and Craftsman horizontal milling machines
Atlas shapers
Benchmaster milling machines
King way scraping consultants (Richard King's FB group on scraping)
The Hobby Machinist (the FB group associated with this forum, but it is not an active group unlike this forum, last post was 19 weeks ago)

I don't find FB all that bad.. I guess it's what you want to do there. It allows me to keep in touch with my family and some friends.
I even started a site for my high school class! and another for my siblings.. works fine for me!
To each their own. :cool:

I find the utter lack of organization and zero chronological order to be unworkable. Threads that diverge into several subthreads with replies scattered throughout is unfollowable. All buried in a never ending stream of "suggested for you" videos of things totally uninteresting.

And I really don't give a damn what you had for lunch.

Another thing I don’t like about facebook is they track you and datamine you.

Believe it or not, they not only track you online, they have “agreements” with brick and mortar stores that they use to direct marketing towards you.

For example: i can buy something at canadian tire or walmart, come home and log on to facebook and I’ll get ads that I never used to get targeted at the product I just bought at a brick and mortar store.

It happens so often the wife and I started to suspect the microphone was listening to our conversations.

Add to that they sell any iota of information about you they can glean from your browsing habits and I just get really po’d about the whole thing.

Nope. Facebook is evil. For cripes sake just look at the owner. Zuckerberg looks like some kind of hydrid of a human and an alien from Omicron Persiey 8!

Evil evil evil!

I am obligated to be on it so I can keep in touch with F&F.
That's why I joined. Then I found out my F&F were part of the group making FB such a cesspool. If I unfriended all the people who dumped garbage in my feed I'd have no FB friends. So it was easier just to quit FB, and go back to the occasional text/phonecall.

That's why I joined. Then I found out my F&F were part of the group making FB such a cesspool. If I unfriended all the people who dumped garbage in my feed I'd have no FB friends. So it was easier just to quit FB, and go back to the occasional text/phonecall.
they make the money on the pics you post

I find the utter lack of organization and zero chronological order to be unworkable. Threads that diverge into several subthreads with replies scattered throughout is unfollowable. All buried in a never ending stream of "suggested for you" videos of things totally uninteresting.

And I really don't give a damn what you had for lunch.

It is very much focused on right now. This is why I mostly find it of interest to see projects for ideas (wood working and metal working) that people are making. It does a poor job of archiving or tracking a project over time which is why I find forums far better for step by step project updates and how to types of posts.

It is also useful for tracking upcoming events, since so many organizations use it to post events.

This is the same issue I had with Yahoo Groups, they were not easily searchable. Like yahoo groups some of the FB groups do have some decent files sections where you can find good info.

Also FB Market Place is taking a good chunk of Craigslist ads. I still rely on CL for most of my used tool purchases but I've picked up some good stuff through FBMP. Just have to filter for local pickup to get rid of a lot (but not all) of the "ships to you" spammers.

I use FB for marketplace and to occasionally see what someone I grew up with is up too. Most groups on there, I have found, lack any depth.

Edit: I think a lot of it comes down to how you access the internet. My wife, for lack of a better term, is a phone person: watches movies on it, plays games, reads, etc. I, on the other hand, use my laptop for all of that. FB is optimized for the phone at this point, and seems to flow better in that format. Forums work better on a laptop.

Last edited:
Back