Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

I've seen lots of interesting and unusual user names and have been curious about their origins so I'm creating this thread for members that might want to share the reason(s) for their choice of user name. I'll start the ball rolling (who knows if it rolls very far :dunno:) with mine.

Like most when becoming a member I was faced with the requirement to enter a user name. Hmm. What I came up with was "homebrewed", based on quite a few things that I've 'home-brewed' over the years. That, in fact, includes home-brewed beer (along with items to MAKE the beer, like a wort chiller). Then there's our longtime practise of making Pinot Noir wine from grapes we picked ourselves. Then there are the various other fermented food items like pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, cider vinegar, miso and tempeh. I've probably left some out :). With that also comes the homebrewed side of making things with my lathe and mill.

At work I home-brewed solutions for problems because the field I worked in didn't have many equipment suppliers; and those who did cater to us had to charge high prices because the market was small. Sometimes there were ways to do it cheaper -- if I made the stuff. Often that just involved making adapters to use off-the-shelf items instead of slightly oddball sizes meant to capture more revenue. I designed circuit boards to test bad IC's, lots of test fixtures -- some of which went into scanning electron microscopes and focussed-ion beam machines. More homebrewing, just of a different kind. So it was a natural. "Homebrewed".

As Charlie Papazian said, relax, have a homebrew.

--Mark

Mine is pretty simple really... When I retired and decided to buy a lathe and mill, my friends asked if I was going to start a business. Nope it's just for fun. And there ya go. My username tells the story.

Tim

Mine is not disguised at all. You can find me here, on Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, my website (davidpbest.com), and at the local bar with the same name. Now, when I'm "look'en fo nub", forgetaboutit.

The boat was 20+ years old the U in Aukai was partly gone. In Hawaiian it means ocean swimmer, ocean traveler, seafarer. I was a paramedic 10 days a month 240hrs, part time commercial fisherman on the days off. I'm now the resident hack in the garage. :)
1662621089505.jpeg

T Bredehoft. First name Thomas.

But I'm Tom. I'm not sure I'd answer to Thomas if I heard it called.....

If three or four houses (or ither buildings) surround an open space, here in Holland it's a hof, and brede is pretty well accepted a a spelling of wide or broad. (I can't document this, though), So my name may represent a courtyard or such.

Bill70J

Bill - My first name
70 - Short for 1970
j - Chrysler's '68-'80 Car Line designation for the Challenger

The first car I bought new and still have - 1970 Dodge Challenger
Challenger3.jpg

Last edited:
Back