Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

Name of our SteelCraft cruiser when I was a kid, name borrowed from the steamship ferry that plied between the Isle of Man and Liverpool England, meaning in the Manx language "Woman of my heart", my dad's mother had both parents born on IOM. Manx is no longer spoken there as a primary language, but I have a distant cousin there who learned it so as to be able to pursue geneology interests.

682- when I started frequenting forums, I was shooting sporting clays tournaments with a Beretta 682 shotgun (which has since been replaced with a Krieghoff K-80).

Bear- my last name is Bearden... also, I'm a sort of large, 'bearish' guy...

The rear tag on my 'clays cart' (a 2006 Yamaha Rhino)...

20220908_153256.jpg

My sporting clays buddies started calling me Bear... my first name is David.

-Bear

I’ve loved aircraft my whole life probably because my uncle was a B29 pilot in the Korean War. He then became a test pilot. So it was fun for me to become friends and music playin’ buddies with a Marine pilot trainee who had been grounded because his appendix burst while flying. My uncle had been grounded because he had a heart attack during a test flight. The Marine had surgery and they nicked his bowel and it almost killed him. So he was given a desk for a year while he healed. So we ended up pickin’ a lot of tunes. When he was able to continue his training his flight gave him the call sign C-Bag because he had to use a colostomy bag. When I started going on forums and saw everybody else had these call signs I stole his and became C-Bag.

My avatar is a Hero engine on of the earliest engines. I think the Hero engine was my earliest mechanical contemplation. I use it for my avatar because it feels like the most accurate description of my online presence. Noise and motion not really doing anything:)

I used to be a longtime flashlight modder & collector. For many years I performed custom builds for others in my free time. So light related, hence the name darkzero as in zero darkness. Has nothing to do with some video game related stuff using the same name which came many years later. I just kept using the name.

Prior to that & on automotive related forums I go by zero4. Sort of the second reason for the word zero in darkzero, I guess I just like the word zero. The #4 is my favorite number & is what led to zero4.

AGCB97 Aaron Gustafson Custom Builder. The name of my former residential building company and 97, the year I finished building my last experimental airplane. Also, the last part of its registration number.

Wachuko - made up nickname given by high school sweetheart…. Stuck with me… the nickname, not the girlfriend…

Even after over 30 years together, my wife is still not happy about it….

Last edited:
Back