[How do I?] Wire This Up? 220 Volts Is My Choice.

And here is the near final product, notice the blurry chuck, yeah it was spinning, LOL

Here is how I got it:
1947 Logan Lathe upon arrival.jpg

And the after:

Logan Lathe final assembly.jpg

Still have a few items to address such as needing bushings made in a few spots, and finishing up the hand wheels and putting the pins in the QC gear box handles.. but it works!!

Looks good. I refuse to run motors off a light switch. They just don't work very long in most cases. You could have ran both Line wires through that drum switch & not need the light switch.

Now that was a labor of love. I hope my Logan doesn't see this picture of it's brethren.:grin:

I'm glad to see that you were able to get the lathe running!
the after picture is gorgeous!
Happy Machining!!!

kingmt01, may I ask why a 110 volt light switch won't work long? same switch I use in my home wiring and doing same thing? Please remember I am NOT an electrician.
Thanks

Richard

Light switches are usually light contact & slow to contact. Every time a contact is made with any switch there is arching that burns the contract. The harder & faster this contract is made the less ware there is on the switch. Light switches don't have a strong enough contact for motors or other high amp applications. Light switches are for lights.

Sorry for the first post by me. It is hard to scroll through then type your answer at the bottom. Starting at motor. With motor wired exactly as pictured runt wire from motor 1 to switch 5. Motor 4 to switch 4. Motor 2 to switch 1. Then from switch to circuit panel switch 3 to line 1(hot wire). Switch 6 you line 2(hot wire).

Do you have 3 phase power?

Not that I meant to. I was talking about reading the wrong switch diagram.

Back