Wire Wheels Have More Uses Than I Thought

I use them, but I hate 'em. The eyes water and I wince, even now just remembering what I was doing to pull one of the wires out of my cheek. I was also once careless enough one to go into the garage barefoot, and took one slid into under my foot at a shallow angle, but the wire was curved and squiggled, and a right b*itch to remove.

For de-rusting, OK, they can take off the worst of the loose stuff, but they don't really clean down to bare metal in a nice way. It burnishes into a sort of black semi-shiny murk.

Lots of things we use in our shops have multiple uses. A guy that used to work for me always said he didn't even go on a date without WD-40. o_O

Obviously you never knew what WD-40 was originally used for, that guy at work did :) Here's an old vintage advertisement. You should try it

WD-40.jpg

Last edited:
I was cleaning up after coming in from the shop last week. I washed my hands and then my face.
I noticed one eye-brow hair that hurt my face to touch and was a little stiffer than the rest.........
.......yep a wire from the wire wheel.

I guess that's why I wear those safety glasses!

-brino
i pulled a painful wire impalement from the inside of my right nostril, talk about bring a tear to the eye :bawling:

Seems out of place and probably a little silly to you folks but, I use the cheapest Horrible Fright wire wheels and brushes I can find. I have a use for the small wire in short lengths on my models. Purchasing a wire wheel or brush, I pull the wires out and bend them to my needs. The wire is .010 to .012 and held very loosly. And soft enough to bend without breaking. So, there is a use for those cheap wire wheels. The big issue is to never spin one up.

(Sorry, no jokes)
Or buy only US or German made wheels to greatly reduce this issue or both.
Just truth. Before running any wire wheel, one must first check the side for the word "Bosch" stamped into the wheel. If it says anything different, like Chicago Brush Factory Xiamen-Guangdong, throw it out and start over.

Is it that the steel wires in the "good" ones does not fatigue and break off so easily?
OR
Is it about the way the wires are secured in the centre?

I sometimes wonder what the value to function is of the cup type with sets of twisted tufts..
[OK, OK - I didn't know what else to call them!]

Back