[How do I?] Wiring Craftsman lathe for forward and reverse

The thing that makes this slightly more complicated than typical motors is the thermal overload. To preserve that function (which I think is a good thing) the connections get a bit more confusing. Here is my best guess at the connections you need using the switch you have. Note there are 4 jumpers needed between terminals on the switch. Brown and Yellow wires must be connected at the motor end and both blue wires must be spliced and brought out to the switch.

View attachment 275050
Success! Thank you very much! And thanks to everyone. I learned a lot these last few days.

Clueless,
As long as the thermal overload is in the common wire its function will be preserved.

Last edited:
Clueless,
As long as the thermal overload is in the common wire its function will be preserved.

I agree. It could be done if you are willing to open up the motor and do some wiring changes. I don't believe it can be done with that particular switch and still achieving all 3 of the constraints I mentioned without opening up the motor. On these dual voltage motors typically the 2 run windings are used in series when used on the higher voltage. The start winding is placed in parallel with one of the run windings (so it only can see only 1/2 of the applied voltage). On this motor the connection between the thermal overload and one of the run windings is buried inside the motor, "ay, there's the rub". Yes it's a solvable problem but requires a bit more work.

Of the three constraints I usually lose the "break both hots" requirement. Hey, the motor doesn't care.
Kit: glad it worked out
Here is a typical hook-up for 240 volt- only requires 3 wires to the motor (plus ground) Ignore the colors, they don't match Kit's
3Schematic.gif
Thanks to John H., one of our members

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference, guys! I went back to look at the original, and it's indeed pretty hard to read. Tried a bit of manipulation myself, but couldn't improve on BaronJ's adjustments. So I went back to the original CAD file and output a PDF. Here it is, in a form you can download and print:

Attachments

• Schematic_4818.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks John
I also have some other motor info, this one was especially informative: a good many motors have the 3 wire thermal protector which drives everyone crazy trying to figure it out- most manufacturers disable it for the 240 volt case

Attachments

• USmotor1a.pdf
    561.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back