WIRING HELP!! on my newly aquired King model KC401-V2F 3 phase 575

mlalonde

Registered
Registered
Hi

I purchased this mill/drill from a guy who didn't have 3 phase and decided he was going to repower it with 220 single phase. I have 3 phase and would love to get this thing wired for 575 3Phase again. I will attach a couple pics. In the one pic there are 7 wires. 6 black and one green. the 6 black are numbered from 1 through 6 and of course the green is ground . So what I need to know is what terminals does the wires numbered 1 through 6 go to??? PLEASE HELP!!Motor wires.jpgmotor swicth wires.jpgmotor cover.jpgswitches.jpgKing_401_KC-401V2F_Mill_Drill_334075_01.jpgMotor plate KC.jpgKC wire=ing route.jpgKC drum switch.jpg

Last edited:
TAKE THE BELOW INFORMATION WITH A GRAIN OF SALT
i have no experience with King equipment or their electrical systems...
i looked but could not find a factory diagram or schematic for your unit

the low speed is run in the delta configuration, the high speed is run in the Wye configuration
most likely the connections will all be made at the motor and brought back to the switches for speed and directional control
that is, unless there are contactors or relays involved with the control system

here is how the control circuit works in most equipment i have encountered....
(this unit may have a less sophisticate control)

the green or green yellow striped wire is connected to ground
a transformer (may) provide control system voltage below 575v-
simply put, the upper green button on the upper left side will supply power to the control circuit indirectly through the normally closed stop switch.
the normally open momentary green power switch would pull in a contactor or relay when the switch is depressed, as well as supply power to both the directional switches
the directional switches would supply power to pull in one of a set of interlocking, reversing contactors (to ensure the motor is not reversed at high speed)
dependent on which speed is selected, the corresponding contactor will pull in

conceivably the U1, V1, W1, U2, V2, W2 connections would be made at the motor with the identified wires
3 control wires could be connected to the U1,V1, W1 motor terminals and shorted together at the directional switch for Wye operation
3 wires would connect to U2, V2, W2 motor terminals and the Delta contactor/relay

all this being said, you system may all be controlled by switches- without the use of contactor or relay
in that case, it is of great importance to prevent the motor from being reversed when in the high speed setting
(i think that's why there is an extra switch in your system that i can't seem to account for at the moment)

if you can provide pictures of the controls opened up, i may be able to guide you better-
all i can offer now is conjecture :grin:

I might can help, but I need more information. Where do the 6 black wires exiting the grey conduit originate? Are they the same wires as in the motor wiring box? Or do the numbered wires in the motor wiring box go into the motor? Did they all connect in the control panel? Can you take a picture inside the control panel? Does the three phase input supply power connect in the control panel?

the low speed is run in the delta configuration, the high speed is run in the Wye configuration
most likely the connections will all be made at the motor and brought back to the switches for speed and directional control

simply put, the upper green button on the upper left side will supply power to the control circuit indirectly through the normally closed stop switch.
the normally open momentary green power switch would pull in a contactor or relay when the switch is depressed, as well as supply power to both the directional switches
the directional switches would supply power to pull in one of a set of interlocking, reversing contactors (to ensure the motor is not reversed at high speed)

conceivably the U1, V1, W1, U2, V2, W2 connections would be made at the motor with the identified wires
3 control wires could be connected to the U1,V1, W1 motor terminals and shorted together at the directional switch for Wye operation
3 wires would connect to U2, V2, W2 motor terminals and the Delta contactor/relay

all this being said, you system may all be controlled by switches- without the use of contactor or relay
in that case, it is of great importance to prevent the motor from being reversed when in the high speed setting
(i think that's why there is an extra switch in your system that i can't seem to account for at the moment)

if you can provide pictures of the controls opened up, i may be able to guide you better-

Hi and thank you for your time. I traced all 6 wires and they all go to the yellow high and LO switch. the black wires are numbered 1 through 6. It looks to be the exact same as aDrum switch. All wires are on the drum switch. Which when looking at the face of the machine says 1 0 2 I believe it the speed selector . I will take pics and post them . And people don't worry. I would not do the hook up unless I was sure!!! Thanks!!

The switch looks exactly like this one. All black wires are connected to this switch!

Attachments

• JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 28
I might can help, but I need more information. Where do the 6 black wires exiting the grey conduit originate? Are they the same wires as in the motor wiring box? Or do the numbered wires in the motor wiring box go into the motor? Did they all connect in the control panel? Can you take a picture inside the control panel? Does the three phase input supply power connect in the control panel?
All 6 wires are connected to a switch in the front control panel. Looks like it may be the High Lo switch. It looks like this and all 6 wires are connected to it and numbered as well.

Attachments

• JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 27

Hi Doc

All 6 wires are connected to a switch like this!

Attachments

• JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    JPM_Drum_Switch.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 30
by the switch..
this is power connections from 575v source to the switch
L1 goes to switch terminal 1
L2 goes to switch 10
L3 goes to switch 15

switch terminals 2, 5 , 6 will correspond with U1,V1,W1 to get the delta (low speed)

switch terminals 4, 13, 16 will correspond with U2, V2, W2 to get the Wye (high speed), {when U1,V1,W1 are shorted together}

Ulma Doctor, I think you nailed it on 8 of the 9 wires connected to the drum switch. I could be wrong, but will you please check the terminal for W1? I believe W1 connects to switch terminal 8 instead of 6. I based this on the switch schematic in the JPM M40V2 pdf file.
Thanks,
Garry

by the switch..
this is power connections from 575v source to the switch
L1 goes to switch terminal 1
L2 goes to switch 10
L3 goes to switch 15

switch terminals 2, 5 , 6 will correspond with U1,V1,W1 to get the delta (low speed)

switch terminals 4, 13, 16 will correspond with U2, V2, W2 to get the Wye (high speed), {when U1,V1,W1 are shorted together}
Hey Doc could you make me a IDIOT proof sketch of the 6 black wires hooked up . Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back