Wiring my 3 Phase Lathe to my RPC

Well, I can't read half of that but if there is a 50 amp main fuse you should be able to pull 50 amps from it. My preference would be to run a 3 phase sub panel off the main output and wire loads to that with appropriate over-current protection for each attached load. If I had a "floor mounted" unit and wanted to sweep behind it I would build a small shelf attached to the wall to raise the motor up so I could clean. BTW, I'm with you on being able to clean behind anything in the shop, good housekeeping is critical to safety.

So, back to what you have and how to deal with it. My preference would not be to change the outlet, if you want it to protect 30 amp loads you can just change the breaker. As is, it will provide a safety margin of 10 amps given the 20 amp breaker installed, this shouldn't be a problem because the breaker will trip at a load below what the receptacle can handle. You can wire the circuit for your lathe directly off the same breaker and it should only trip if you have a short, or plug another load into the receptacle and run both at the same time exceeding 20 amps. This is unlikely since you are the only one operating equipment in your shop and probably can't run two machines at once.

There's nothing wrong with having multiple loads connected to one breaker, your house is wired like this and so is almost every other building out there. Wire sizing isn't a mystery either, here's one calculator

According to this you can run 14 gauge wire for a three phase 20 amp load 20 feet away, that's 80 ft of wire. 500 ft of 14 gauge is ~$40 at Home Depot, or ~$60 for 12 gauge if you want to oversize, you can buy it by the foot but getting the spool means you don't have to go back if you underestimate how much you need. A 10' stick of PVC schedule 40 conduit is $3.15, I'm not gonna price out the adapters but they won't be that much.

Bottom line, less than a hundred bucks will let you do this right and hardwire your new machine back to the RPC. You probably can't run overhead because of how close you are to the garage door but conduit on the floor will probably be less of a trip hazard than multi-strand flexible cord.

This is just how I would do it, I'm not an electrician (well, marine electrical certified) but I've done plenty of wiring in my own home and wouldn't be writing this if I wasn't confident of what I'm saying. You're gonna have to open up the RPC distribution box either way so why not save yourself the hassle of having to do it again when you need to hook up your new mill with a three phase extension cord?

JMHO,

John

American Rotary sent me a link to this informative video:

According to this you can run 14 gauge wire for a three phase 20 amp load 20 feet away
However, the NEC requires 12 gauge minimum wire on a 20 amp circuit. And I believe on any motor circuit above ¼ hp.

Back