wnmg tool holder

Any idea based on that holder what a positive rake insert works? I'm not looking forgot pulling out my protractor, compass, caliper and scientific calculator figure it out. Hopefully this gets easier soon.

I think not. You have a shim and stud I would think a positive rake would not be available but I'm just guessing, I've never seen one.
Do you have any inserts at all?
If not I can send you one.

WOEX is a specialized insert for TwinKom Double Insert Tools. A WNMG insert can only be used in a negative insert holder, you cannot change/modify the anvil and expect it to cut correctly. A negative rake insert holder is a poor choice for a small lathe. Only some negative rake inserts can be flipped, none of the neutral or positive rake can be flipped because of the edge cutting geometry. If you want a neutral or positive rake which would use a screw on insert WCMT/WCGT types then you are looking at a fairly uncommon holder SWLCR for right hand and SWLCL for left hand which take a WCMT/WCGT 21.51 ANSI, WCMT-04-02-4 ISO (1/4" inscribed circle). You are still pretty limited as to inserts, this style of insert would be more common to a boring bar as opposed to turning. Inserts have different edge geometry, so the actual cutting edge can be positive to the work even if it is in a negative or neutral holder.
Steel inserts
Aluminum inserts

The attached turning catalogue gives the standard lathe holders and associated inserts, see page 2 and 3.

Attachments

• LMT FETTE Turning.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
So in a nut shell, forgetting my holder that takes an insert one of two companies make pretty basic cutters for...
What tool holder (up to 1/2" ) can I get with a trigon insert. (No boring bars of at all possible) does it just not exist? Really odd situation with this one tool...it has been nothing but dead ends to be honest. I have been made very aware of the neg take tool on my 1 hp lathe. Let's call it a lesson on angles for me....cause and effect.

We're talking about a positive-rake WNMG43* (trigon) insert for that 3-piece toolholder set, right?
They don't seem to be too hard to find: Kodiak was a top hit when I searched.

Or has that toolholder been mooted due to poor performance on small lathes?

Ok, you guys might be losing me, or your talking about different things?
@ddickey , your showing me a different holder than the 2 I have and the inserts for it?
@ThinWoodsman you are talking about a positive rake insert for the current 5/8" holder that I purchased ( with plenty of warning from other that this wasn't a good idea)?
@mksj your showing me an insert that isn't for either of my tools? (I BELIEVE my oddball holder is Wcmt 2.52 or something odd that only OSCARBIDE is something like that makes)?
The whole insert selection and decoders have worked fine for everything I have EXCEPT this odd ACCUSIZE holder I have. (SWGCRO6-2J)

Last edited:
@ThinWoodsman
I'm liking that, also lead me to this:
Extra high rake
same as your link, but was listed as "extra high rake". When I pulled up the same part number on MCS, it listed as negative rake, so I found these. Honestly looking at numbers, I'm not sure the difference.

Last edited:
Back