2014 POTD Thread Archive

Helped a buddy move his new to him Bridgeport. An interesting way to lift 2200lbs. More vids once I edit them, I might start a thread on this move.

[video=youtube_share;ywTyDOgKiQY]http://youtu.be/ywTyDOgKiQY[/video]

Part 1 - block up the mill, build a pallet under it and move the mill outside.

[video=youtube_share;dZPGUjxI6pE]http://youtu.be/dZPGUjxI6pE[/video]

How does that floater go together? Just set screws or what?

3 sets screws and i drilled a little in the inner part so they sit in a small hole to keep them ferm

the setscrews are basicle only there to keep everuthing tougether when you pull back the tool when pushing you don't even need the screws
the reamer it self got 5 setscrews (4 to make the square and to hold it in place ) and one to tighten the reamer in place
i can als push the reamer on to the ball and then thight it so i got no play on the ball when i retractthe reamer

I want to copy it as thats pretty awesome man
no problem
if you need some info let me now it is made in metric size but the hole to hold the reamer is reamed to make the jgs reamer sit with no play
(not really usefull but it makes me feel good LOL when i push the reamer in it sits on a air cussion and i need to push it down slowly to let the air escape ore it jumps right out the holder -i drilled a hole on the bottom so the air gets out mutch easyer )

That just means you done it right. When we made our spring loaded tap guides in school the teacher checked how well it fit by the air locked under it.

You wouldn't happen to have any prints for that would you? Metric or not

Good video Steve. I'm really looking forward to the next one on hoisting the mill. I saw your set up as a partial tripod in the small clip you first posted, but I'd like to see more of it. If someone else has built a lifting horse (like a giant saw horse) to lift their mill, I'd like to see photos or video if you took any.

Thanks for watching. Working on the edit of the actual lifting of the mill today, hopefully get something posted tonight or tomorrow. The edits take a long time when you have hours of video and want to make something short out of it.

Good video Steve. I'm really looking forward to the next one on hoisting the mill. I saw your set up as a partial tripod in the small clip you first posted, but I'd like to see more of it. If someone else has built a lifting horse (like a giant saw horse) to lift their mill, I'd like to see photos or video if you took any.

no problem
if you need some info let me now it is made in metric size but the hole to hold the reamer is reamed to make the jgs reamer sit with no play
(not really usefull but it makes me feel good LOL when i push the reamer in it sits on a air cussion and i need to push it down slowly to let the air escape ore it jumps right out the holder -i drilled a hole on the bottom so the air gets out mutch easyer )
I too would like to make a copy of this tool , for my own use and enjoyment any possibility that you might have some dimensioned drawings laying about on your work bench that you would be willing to share?

I had a few broken bolts to deal with on my project Yamaha XS650 engine. One of the starter motor mount bolts was broken flush with the case. I mounted the lower crankcase on an angle plate and set it level in the vise and used a 1/4" end mill to remove all of the bolt except what was in the case threads. The ran a tap into the hole to remove the remainder. It worked out nice with the threads still in good shape. I had to do the same on the cam cover for one of the point housing bolts.
PA180446_zps9987cd5c.jpg
PA180450_zps6c56d40a.jpg
PA180452_zps47afd9a8.jpg
PA180451_zpsc3906366.jpg
PA180458_zpsc2487575.jpg
PA180459_zpse1d37af9.jpg
PA180461_zpsc150bdd7.jpg
PA180462_zpse52395f9.jpg

PA180446_zps9987cd5c.jpg

PA180450_zps6c56d40a.jpg

PA180452_zps47afd9a8.jpg

PA180451_zpsc3906366.jpg