2014 POTD Thread Archive

I removed a few joists in my shop so I could up up a mezzanine. I used hurricane clips as a replacement. Perhaps Greg could do the same and keep the look he has now.

Greg, maybe you can put in the vertical post without doing the mortise, use a dowel (or two?) make the depth in the vertical piece the depth of the dowel and slightly larger than the dowel. Slide the dowel up and position the piece and let it drop into a hole in the horizontal piece. A couple of screws to keep it from twisting and some at the top of the vertical to keep it in position.

I am a builder for 30 years. One of my jobs got an 8 page spread in the Feb 2001 issue of REMODELING magazine. Members of this forum help me nearly every day in my bumbling attempts at being a machinist. I'm not looking to step on any toes but am just trying give something back to the forum in an area I do know something about. Isn't that why we're here?

I removed a few joists in my shop so I could up up a mezzanine. I used hurricane clips as a replacement. Perhaps Greg could do the same and keep the look he has now.

Greg, maybe you can put in the vertical post without doing the mortise, use a dowel (or two?) make the depth in the vertical piece the depth of the dowel and slightly larger than the dowel. Slide the dowel up and position the piece and let it drop into a hole in the horizontal piece. A couple of screws to keep it from twisting and some at the top of the vertical to keep it in position.

Good idea on the dowels, but the joists would go unnoticed, after the gable end gets closed in. Used that trick to install a railing between posts in a log house . Put a coil spring behind the dowel, slide the railing in place and snap, it was pinned.
Greg

Sorry epanzella,
I was not suggesting you werent experienced or knowledgeable about what you opined and I apologise for misinterpreting the advice you offered.

Sincerely Phil

Sorry epanzella,
I was not suggesting you werent experienced or knowledgeable about what you opined and I apologise for misinterpreting the advice you offered.

Sincerely Phil
No problem Phil. I've gotten lots of great info from your posts. I owe YOU.
Thanks,
Ed P

Back