2014 POTD Thread Archive

Here is a curious question: Do you think anybody could pull this one by hand and still obtain similar results? I will even allow the use of a rotary table ;-)

That's pretty, nice lines.

I could do it on a rotary table, but it would be a lot of work. I find myself designing much more complex shapes since I bought my CNC. Back in the hand crank days (not that long ago), I kept things pretty simple.

I have a total of 4 different types of bench grinders plus a 1" belt sander for various uses.
I've wanted to make this space saving stand for some time. I cant remember where I got the idea.

It's not finished yet. I still need to make a plate for my belt sander, add the lock bolt to each mounting tube / plate and mount each grinder on the plates then paint it. each grinder will have a bag type cover to protect it when not in use.
Still deciding on a colour too.

IMG_1492.JPG IMG_1493.JPG

I'm working on a 13" SB for a friend. I broke the knob off the tailstock hand wheel trying to get it off ( I was not happy ). So I made him a new one out of 316 SS. No ball turner, just plunging by eye followed up with a file and some sand paper. I drilled the hand wheel and pressed the new knob in with some green lock tite. Good as new.

Edit: here we go with the manage attachments button not working again..........can't post the pics:sorry2:

Edit, Edit: Pics uploaded

131.JPG 130.JPG 129.JPG 128.JPG

Last edited:
I have a total of 4 different types of bench grinders plus a 1" belt sander for various uses.
I've wanted to make this space saving stand for some time. I cant remember where I got the idea.

It's not finished yet. I still need to make a plate for my belt sander, add the lock bolt to each mounting tube / plate and mount each grinder on the plates then paint it. each grinder will have a bag type cover to protect it when not in use.

This is a fantastic idea!!! could you put some kind of rubber feet on it to handle the vibration from the grinders?

Drilled some holes in two 4" PVC endcaps. For a conduit job.

photo 4 (23).JPG

photo 4 (23).JPG

This is a fantastic idea!!! could you put some kind of rubber feet on it to handle the vibration from the grinders?

I was thinking the same thing. I think hockey pucks will work.

Just did some shop searching. these are what I found.

IMG_1474.JPG

Last edited:

very clever idea to save space!! what do you have planned for the electrical plugs?

I made some oil plugs that were missing from my machine when I got it. weird thread, best I could measure was 1/2-12. A 1/2-13 bolt wont go in the holes and neither will any similar sized metric bolt. So I measured the diameter and thread pitch on the plastic pieces and single pointed these plugs. material is 17-4 stainless

IMG_2782_zpscbba2dd7.jpg

IMG_2783_zps541f3474.jpg

IMG_2782_zpscbba2dd7.jpg

IMG_2782_zpscbba2dd7.jpg

IMG_2783_zps541f3474.jpg

IMG_2783_zps541f3474.jpg

Some more recent projects....made a tailstock tray similar to Tom Lipton's. Very useful space as I was quickly running out of room for all my toolholders. A piece of aluminum angle drilled to hold tailstock tools too.

IMG_0162_zps8f5d66af.jpg

IMG_0163_zps4f1eea8d.jpg

IMG_0162_zps8f5d66af.jpg

IMG_0162_zps8f5d66af.jpg

IMG_0163_zps4f1eea8d.jpg

IMG_0163_zps4f1eea8d.jpg

Back