2014 POTD Thread Archive

Nice job ! What did you use or do to remove the rust & clean up the table ? I have a very similar unit that has similar rusting.

3in1 penetrant with brown scotchbrite, then stoned the table. Wire brush on a drill to clean up most of the rest.

Nothing fancy today. I made a polycarbonate handle for a triangular scraper blade that I ordered from McMaster (I don't have a lathe so I did the turning in the mill with the tool bit clamped in the vise), and I finished cleaning up an old Billings & Spencer / Pierce-Arrow monkey wrench that was in an old Waterloo toolbox full of tools that I picked up for $20 at an estate sale. The moving jaw on the wrench was bent, somebody obviously abused it, so after straightening the shaft as best I could with heat and a hammer (so it now opens and closes fully), I milled the jaw so the faces are again parallel.

IMG_20140316_122631_612.jpg IMG_20140316_120928_595.jpg

IMG_20140316_122631_612.jpg IMG_20140316_120928_595.jpg

Turned my lathe into a shaper today... mostly finished my baby screw jack that I've been fiddling with for a few days now. Made the top part with a 90-degree V groove through it. How? I marked and ground a 90-degree point on an HSS blank, put it on center, angled it to give it a bit of rake, aaaand... shk shk (bump in about .001) shk shk (another .001") shk shk... etc., etc. Boy, that was fun. About 100 passes later, I had a right purdy V-groove!

Before you ask, yes, it really did make that noise!

Turned my lathe into a shaper today... mostly finished my baby screw jack that I've been fiddling with for a few days now. Made the top part with a 90-degree V groove through it. How? I marked and ground a 90-degree point on an HSS blank, put it on center, angled it to give it a bit of rake, aaaand... shk shk (bump in about .001) shk shk (another .001") shk shk... etc., etc. Boy, that was fun. About 100 passes later, I had a right purdy V-groove!

Before you ask, yes, it really did make that noise!
No pictures? It didn't happen.:lmao:

No pictures? It didn't happen.:lmao:

Ah, gotta cut me some slack, guys! I ain't got a camera that's worth a chip. I'll try and take a few pictures sometime though, if they turn out I'll post 'em.

not in the camera section of wally mart but by the pc/phone accessories I found a $19 camera that I bought my daughter.
it works good.
steve

Ah, gotta cut me some slack, guys! I ain't got a camera that's worth a chip. I'll try and take a few pictures sometime though, if they turn out I'll post 'em.

Pat do you have an IPad? That's what I use in my shop for prints in PDF format and I can use it to take pictures when needed.

Todd

Pat do you have an IPad? That's what I use in my shop for prints in PDF format and I can use it to take pictures when needed.

Todd

Nope, I'm not that far advanced yet... I'll have to look around for a decent camera for "mom" to replace her yucky digital camera. For her, of course! :whistle:

Thanks for the tips though, fellas. I'll look around!

Today I rolled around in the sawdust at my friend's wood shop.

Installed magnetic DRO reader heads on their CNC router, this will close the loop and make the machine much more accurate, with no lost steps or position on overload. Tomorrow I get to go back and wire them into the computer, and then make the software changes to make the controller think it's running servo motors in velocity mode rather than stepper motors.

Depending on the stepper driver, some will run in velocity mode using a plus/minus analog signal, as well as running in stepper mode.

What do you do with old rollerblade wheels, scrap aluminum and a new welding table? Make a set of rollers for welding around tubing of course...

a9udydy5.jpg

5ymytymu.jpg

I hope the brass v-block will give a decent ground path....

To make a good ground on that round stock, strip a few feet of weld cable then make few loose wraps around the part and clamp your ground to the ends of the bare cable:welding:

Back