2014 POTD Thread Archive

I modified my HF spot welder. the original tips threaded into the arms and the threads were worn out. it would not get a good connection between the tip and arm and just melt the tip. I made new tips and an adapter for quick removal to sharpen them. after over 100 spot welds the tips are showing no wear. The aluminum is acting like a heat sink and the tip barely gets hot beyond the point. it's a bit bulkier and the tips are a bit long but for tight spots i'll use shorter tips. I also installed a roll pin in the handle, the original pin worked loose and would fall out. this thing welds better now than it ever did, very fast and hot. I guess the tips were always a connection problem
steve

DSCF1125.JPG DSCF1126.JPG DSCF1127.JPG DSCF1128.JPG DSCF1129.JPG

Not just today's work. I'm working toward making a threading dial for my Storebro lathe. 4tpi leadscrew. I messed up the only brass washer I had, so I decided to cut the gear out of 3/16" ABS plastic. If anyone wants to get into making gears, I recommend trying it first in plastic. It's really easy to cut and will prove or disprove your setup and the shape of your cutter.

The dividing head was tilted to 5[SUP]o[/SUP] to allow for the helix of the leascrew. 16 teeth on the gear.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7953.jpg

It fits the leadscrew well. There isn't much stress in turning the dial, so plastic should give good service.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7954.jpg

Today's job was to finish a spindle nut I started yesterday. Most of the tooling I use in the spindle is MT3, but the spindle is MT4. When I go to drift out the tooling, the sleeve usually lets go first. Then I have to separate the MT3 tool from the sleeve. I figured a nut would hold the sleeve while the tool is being tapped out.
attachment.php?thumbnail=7955.jpg

If I loosen the nut a turn or two, the sleeve should loosen first, then the tool can be released. After that, removing the nut will allow the sleeve to be removed.

I can make you a stamping die to make thousands per day!

Yesterday I made a few hundred little brass thingies. Not sure what they are for, just making them to spec.

I am using my friend's CNC router because my mill spindle speed is too slow (4500 rpm) and I haven't finished my z-axis conversion yet. I will build a high speed spindle system for my mill when I get the rest of the conversion done. It wasn't practical to laser or water jet cut these parts.

Brass widgets:

brassparts.jpg

Material: 24 GA, 260 half-hard brass
Taped to 3/4 inch MDF with carpet tape
Tool: 30 deg taper, half-round engraving tool, 0.125 dia, solid carbide
Machining: Spindle 18,000 RPM, Feed 10 IPM, Depth of Cut = 0.025. I would prefer 30,000 RPM, then I could feed at 15 IPM
Soy based cutting oil.
Run time = about 40 min / 12 inches width. That i

Quicky little project.
I actually put in some play time today and made me a nut to screw on the end of my small porta-power ram.
The plan is to eventually build it into a small C frame like you would use on ball joints and u joints.
Started with a 1 1/4" nut. Bored it out to "around" 1.43". It needed to be cut to 1 1/2" 16 tpi. Then single point threaded it in reverse on the back side. ( the chucks on there good and snug and the threads are tiny)
It's nothing special but it fits pretty good if I do say so myself. Threading's not my strong point. Thanks to everyone on here I must be improving. e6aqa2y3.jpgpyse6ena.jpg
Made a little video but can't seem to find it now.

Master of unfinished projects

Not a bad idea I use my 12 ton hyd press, but I have an OTC ball joint press I could adapt the hyd cyl to it. Thanks for the idea one more thing to add to my bucket list.

Todd

I made about 300 more brass widgets yesterday.

Used a 10 deg taper, 2 flute end mill, with a 0.003 tip. About the same size as a heavy sewing needle. Ran for about 4 hours with out a hitch. I'm surprised I didn't break a bit, but it kept going and still feels sharp.

spindle speed = 18,000 RPM, Feed= 10 IPM on straight cuts and 5 IPM on the arcs. Depth of cut 0.027

Coolant: Soy based cutting oil, just wiped on

Material: Half hard 260 brass, 24 ga

brassparts3.jpg

I'm still amazed that it is possible to run such a tiny tool in such a large, clunky machine.

adxrouter.jpg

Bernie, I think I'll post the whole process as a new thread when I get it done. Got the body done today. Just the shaft and markings to go.

added a dovetail for a scope on my tripod camera/telescope head. easier to sight in long lenses :thumbsup:

DSC01903.JPG DSC01904.JPG

I finally got around to building an adapter for my HF 20-ton press to push out pins and rivets...
98db9eac0ea7321dee825576c5d4bc61_zps51a264c7.jpg

I decided to go with a removable 3/4" slug to hold the final sized pins. But as you might notice, with 20ton vs. a .120 drill rod pin vs a Suomi rivet - the drill rod loses...
Next step will be to try hardening the pin first...

fbc05e3c91cbd92ee35a85b4d655690c_zps79fcb819.jpg

98db9eac0ea7321dee825576c5d4bc61_zps51a264c7.jpg fbc05e3c91cbd92ee35a85b4d655690c_zps79fcb819.jpg

Back