2014 POTD Thread Archive

Had a shortend chunk of 6061 barstock, so I machined a velocity stack for the SU HS-4 carburetor that will feed my stroker VW engine. A challenging piece for a rookie with a HF 7x14 and a HF minimill. Pleased with the polish the material took.

Tom

Stack 1.jpgStack 2.jpg

Stack 1.jpg Stack 2.jpg

Grail.jpgTest fit.jpg

Finished my cross feed screw bracket today and did a test fit. Now I have to cut the crank shaft to fit the screw shaft and install the gear drive.

Grail.jpg Test fit.jpg

Nice looking lathe Jimmy ! What machine is it?

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Yesterday I made a few hundred little brass thingies. Not sure what they are for, just making them to spec.

I am using my friend's CNC router because my mill spindle speed is too slow (4500 rpm) and I haven't finished my z-axis conversion yet. I will build a high speed spindle system for my mill when I get the rest of the conversion done. It wasn't practical to laser or water jet cut these parts.

Brass widgets:

brassparts.jpg

Material: 24 GA, 260 half-hard brass
Taped to 3/4 inch MDF with carpet tape
Tool: 30 deg taper, half-round engraving tool, 0.125 dia, solid carbide
Machining: Spindle 18,000 RPM, Feed 10 IPM, Depth of Cut = 0.025. I would prefer 30,000 RPM, then I could feed at 15 IPM
Soy based cutting oil.
Run time = about 40 min / 12 inches width. That is about 4 hrs / sq ft

brassparts2.jpg

Using a sledge hammer to swat a fly

adxrouter.jpg

Nelson dont take your seat belts off yet watch next week -- get you shovel out.......as of o3/20/14 weather update

Jim,

What do you plan on doing to add a high speed spindle to your mill. Someone has a CAT40 speeder for sale on Craig's List for $3000. But I'd like to do it a lot cheaper.

Ken

Jim,

What do you plan on doing to add a high speed spindle to your mill. Someone has a CAT40 speeder for sale on Craig's List for $3000. But I'd like to do it a lot cheaper.

Ken

I will build an adapter that clamps to my quill and that holds some kind of a high speed spindle motor. The high speed motor will sit to the side of the existing tool center line.

I am still trying to decide what motor to use. I have a 2 HP Porter Cable router that would work and have also been thinking about a Roto-Zip. Maybe I'll do both, depends on what collets are available. Both lend them selves to clamp mounting, have good bearings in the spindle nose, and are speed adjustable. The 2 HP router will require a pretty massive adapter to hold it steady when doing some serious cutting, maybe about 2 inch (or more) thick aluminum.

I'll post a write up when I build the hardware.

I am using my friend's CNC router because my mill spindle speed is too slow (4500 rpm) and I haven't finished my z-axis conversion yet. I will build a high speed spindle system for my mill when I get the rest of the conversion done. It wasn't practical to laser or water jet cut these parts.

Here's a cool conversion. 3 videos.

[video=youtube;lI-tWrdBqcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI-tWrdBqcQ[/video]

Quicky little project.
I actually put in some play time today and made me a nut to screw on the end of my small porta-power ram.
The plan is to eventually build it into a small C frame like you would use on ball joints and u joints.
Started with a 1 1/4" nut. Bored it out to "around" 1.43". It needed to be cut to 1 1/2" 16 tpi. Then single point threaded it in reverse on the back side. ( the chucks on there good and snug and the threads are tiny)
It's nothing special but it fits pretty good if I do say so myself. Threading's not my strong point. Thanks to everyone on here I must be improving. e6aqa2y3.jpgpyse6ena.jpg
Made a little video but can't seem to find it now.

Master of unfinished projects

Back