2014 POTD Thread Archive

Kind of an oddball project. The high pressure fuel pump on one of my boat engines was seized. It's a $400 unserviceable unit with the end plates crimped on. By coincidence $400 is the exact amount I didn't have, so I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. I pried open the crimp with a brass hammer and screwdriver to get the end off. The pump was seized because some ethanol induced corrosion had been ingested and was jamming the impeller. After cleaning and reassembly it spun freely but the hacked up crimp wouldn't seal so I couldn't get more than 20 psi when I needed 45. I machined a die with a radiused shoulder to act as a crimping die. A few whacks with a hammer and the crimp was restored. The pump is back up to 50 psi.

Just a followup; Finally stopped raining so I put the motor back together. Runs like a top!

I'm still working outside the shop (with insects visiting my ears, etc.).
I had to make holes on a board, to bolt it to an iron bar with threaded holes: of course these holes must be precisely located, at least within 1 mm of tolerance. After all it's wood, not metal…
The threaded holes are because I can't use carriage bolts on the last board or it couldn't be tightened, because there aren't passages to reach the nuts below it.
Nobody here seems to know what a "transfer punch" is, and not even a "transfer screw". I guess if I tell the name Heimann some clerks will think he is the goalkeeper of the Borussia Dortmund soccer club :rofl:
So, as usual, I had to make something by myself.
Here is my shop made version of a transfer screw:

shop_made_transfer_screw.jpg

It's just an M8 bolt with the end sharpened with the grinder, but it makes nice starting holes in the wood and the board went precisely on all the threaded holes.
The trick is to use a well charged cordless screwdriver with a 13mm socket from the bottom and to keep a wife on the top of the board as counterweight. Maybe a heavier mother-in-law would be better, since at the first turns I lifted wifey a bit…
I think this method can even be used for metals, with some hardening of the bolt tip.

shop_made_transfer_screw.jpg

I did the hss chip control experiments that were started by oxtoolco and abom79 on youtube. Thread is here http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=23140&highlight=chip+control, here's my last vid oif me doing 0.1 depth of cut at .005 feed rate on 1.5" cold rolled on my 1/3 hp atlas lathe. Never would have thought I could cut that much.

Here's the vid #3

[video=youtube_share;fbFZK_h62mE]http://youtu.be/fbFZK_h62mE[/video]

Today I was working on a cop holder to hold by thurmes out of diamond plate.
0531140849[1].jpg
ran in to a problem The part would not swing 360deg's so I went 180dg moved over 7" and cut the outher half.
0601141031[1].jpg
Now I need to make a gig to bend around. I will cut a 180dg 10" radius on 2 pices of 1/2" mdf and use the to bend around.
0601141034[1].jpg

0531140849[1].jpg 0601141031[1].jpg 0601141034[1].jpg

This build never ceases to amaze me. The quality of craftsmanship is totally outstanding.
I really look forward to these updates and cannot wait to view the completed masterpiece.
Thanks for showing it.

Thank You Savarin
most people don't believe me when I tell them 6 years ago I could not use a hand drill without burning up the bit, so that's why this project has taken so long. I had to learn how to do everything and build the tools I needed to accomplish it. there are a lot of parts from when I first started in my scrap bin that look like they would have fit the model.
Steve

Back