2014 POTD Thread Archive

more a project of the weekend and pretty much all of it - replaced all but 2 of the 14 bushings in the rear suspension of my Focus wagon using my newly rebuilt hydraulic press plus swapped out the front struts for new ones.

IMG_3356_zps8621873e.jpg

IMG_3357_zpse7b63a89.jpg

IMG_3333_zpse67330ae.jpg

I'll soon have to pack up my tools for the move at the end of the month, so there won't be much more from me project wise until we get unpacked in Washington state.

Made arbor for 8 inch wire wheel.

Wire wheel has notch, so arbor was machined for them.

arbor rear.jpgwire wheelaa.jpgwire wheellbb.jpg

Charl

arbor rear.jpg wire wheelaa.jpg wire wheellbb.jpg

As an electrician, I do repair work for a couple of District Municipalities (towns) near here. Today, the maintenance chief at one of them wanted a power kiosk in one of the parks converted to ground-fault outlets so that the permitted users wouldn't be constantly tripping the breaker by overloading the one GFI they had available. There was a small panel on the kiosk that fed two split-wired receptacles, which weren't GFI protected.

Since the existing receptacles are standard type, while GFIs are rectangular, it seemed that using a mill to cut the plates was a good idea. It was an easy step to use the CNC mill for the job. Here's the pair of plates as removed from the panel, along with one of the GFI outlets to be mounted in it.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8539.jpg

It didn't take too long to work up the drawing and convert it to G-code for the two rectangular cut-outs in each plate. Fairly easy to clamp it to the table over a piece of sacrificial wood and set up the 0,0 point.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8540.jpg

A bit of cleaning up with a file, plus a pair of mounting holes for each receptacle, and the job is done. I'll be back in that town on Friday and will install them then.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8541.jpg

A bit of cleaning up with a file, plus a pair of mounting holes for each receptacle, and the job is done. I'll be back in that town on Friday and will install them then.
attachment.php?thumbnail=8541.jpg

I'm almost sure these peculiar plates could have a market, since not every electrician has a CNC mill at hand, and they look very "professional"… Try to offer them on eBay.

Took the first cuts with my new mini mill that arrived last week. now I need to make some non-metric T-nuts.

Do yourself a great favor as you tool up your mill, purchase at least one roughing mill cutter. You will be amazed at ow fast you can rough out parts. i'm making a tangential tool holder for my lathe on an X2 mill. I'm using a 1/2" roughing mill cutter to profile with a touch up pass with a regular 1/2" mill cutter. Amazing!
Chuck

Needed a pipe thread reducer real quick. Also milled the wrench flats on the lathe. Still new to machining and this was a fun exercise.

IMG_2968.JPGIMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2970.JPG

CNC routed a Longworth chuck in ply for a ebay customer.
Mowed the rest of the grass while I made that.
Played with the 5C auto pneumatic closer on this CNC lathe I got from Ebay a few weeks ago. Also played with a ER32-to-5C adapter for it as I use one on some 3D printer barrels I make from BHCS.

Finally found out what my lathe is, it is an early Reed. Some where in the 1900s. There were absolutely no numbers or plates on it. Stopped in at cabin fever to see what I can't aford, and setting in the back was an identical lathe with slitely less toolling then mine. Took mine apart for the summer, if things turn arround I might even get to work on it. Pics to follow.

Back