2014 POTD Thread Archive

Though not 100% shop relate close enough, I'm trying to make my shop door more accessible, my shop is in the basement with a door from that level, I used my bulldozer/snow removal device to make a slow grade instead of the shear drop off, allowing me easier access for moving equipment in and out, I had purchased the blade and made a DIY mount suitable for bulldozer work, the flag in the background behind the trailer is for a chipping green I made, evening entertainment for my wife and I, I have a fat old raccoon that for some reason taken an interest in the flag, I was using a 1/4 inch steel rod for a flag pole but he keeps bending it so he can have a closer look at the flag, I was given a piece of fiberglass pole so I remachined the top and bottom to suit and JB welded it together, we'll see what happens, it's hard to defeat the little buggers, if you find a way to keep them out of something they just come back the next night with a buddy and a side ruler and figure it out.:))
IMG_00001166.jpg

IMG_00001166.jpg

Though not 100% shop relate close enough, I'm trying to make my shop door more accessible, my shop is in the basement with a door from that level

A real machinist would have made some oversized machinist jacks to raise the whole home and have the basement door at a comfortable level :lmao:
Anyway this is a neat job.
Do you have photos of the raccoon? I love them!

A real machinist would have made some oversized machinist jacks to raise the whole home and have the basement door at a comfortable level :lmao:
Anyway this is a neat job.
Do you have photos of the raccoon? I love them!

I like that, it never crossed my mind to raze the house,LOL, I keep thinking of a post you made a while back, you made reference to bricks as carpenter jacks, what a wonderful concept, buy some bricks rebrand them as "Carpenters Jacks" and sell them 3 times the purchase price.
No unfortunately I don't have pictures of the culprit of the crime, he comes out after dark and we watch him shining a flash light on him, I'm just not sure how to get that on camera, we thought it was kids at first, it's funny I think in his mind he's climbing the pole but he's so fat the pole just gives.

I like that, it never crossed my mind to raze the house,LOL, I keep thinking of a post you made a while back, you made reference to bricks as carpenter jacks, what a wonderful concept, buy some bricks rebrand them as "Carpenters Jacks" and sell them 3 times the purchase price.

Alas here every carpenter has an excess of jacks, so the market is saturated:

carpenter_jacks.jpg

To build floors with reinforced concrete requires a lot of them!
When they are too old and dirty to be used in building yards they are still a good source for steel pipe.

carpenter_jacks.jpg

Tried out my new rotary table (Vertex 200mm) for a 1st job
Couldn't do it any other way
Dear Mr. Munroe, I know you are happy trying your rotary, and I do not try to kill that great enthusiasm, I just want to show you that there is another far simpler way to make round corners, far more easier and of any "depht" that no cutter plus rotary can match. And that is.....(drums and trumpets)...................the round cutter. :victory:

image.jpg

Another job with the rotary table, this thing is going to come in real handy :high5:
Turned a piece 180mm long tapped M16 thread 40 mm deep on end then ... hexed it on mill
"Syam thats a nice way to do it as well. I have the need for varying radii plus many more projects thanks for your input, no problem.
"Sticking out of the chuck .... I know no tailstock yet"
Price $660.00 aud with chuck.
dd
Before_hex[1].JPGDuring_Hex[1].JPGDraw_Bar[1].JPG

Before_hex[1].JPG During_Hex[1].JPG Draw_Bar[1].JPG

Last edited:
ddmunroe, nice work! there is almostalways more than one way to get to the same end, that is a good thing because then we can work with what we know and what we have. The more important thing is you got it done and did a fine job.Mark

Put together a buffer out of a Century refrigeration motor and Craftsman grinder/buffer arbor. Motor runs REALLY quiet. I can almost forget it's running.

[video=youtube;KWhEd9QuDEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhEd9QuDEA[/video]

Back