2014 POTD Thread Archive

Andre
How and what were the results ?
dd

It worked out really nice, except for the plain bearings that need a lot of oil to run at 2000-2500 rpm. Now I just need to learn how to buff properly.

Not exactly today but the last several months. Got the plans out of the book "Fun With Engines and other things." It surprised me by starting the first time with the little pressure left in the air hose. It starts to run at about 10 psi but will continue to run at about 5. At 35 psi I get about 2000 rpms. One of those things you build just because it was fun.

2014-06-11 19.36.40.jpg

Not exactly today but the last several months. Got the plans out of the book "Fun With Engines and other things." It surprised me by starting the first time with the little pressure left in the air hose. It starts to run at about 10 psi but will continue to run at about 5. At 35 psi I get about 2000 rpms. One of those things you build just because it was fun.

Jimbo interesting build :
On the inside pistons and crankshaft ? How is the valving arranged /// Nice work congrats on finishing.
Be nice if you made a video to show us in motion
Cheers
dd

Dear Mr. Munroe, I know you are happy trying your rotary, and I do not try to kill that great enthusiasm, I just want to show you that there is another far simpler way to make round corners, far more easier and of any "depht" that no cutter plus rotary can match. And that is.....(drums and trumpets)...................the round cutter. :victory:

I can't tell the exact scale of Mr. Munroe's project, but it looks to me to be much bigger than a round cutter can handle (at least with a home shop machine)

Jack

- - - Updated - - -

That's a really cool project. I see a lot of single cylinder engines being built and they all shake and vibrate badly. I'm guessing that this 4-cylinder is much smoother. I'd love to see a short video of it in action.

Jack

that's an interesting engine and I too would like to see how the valve system works. is the pistons stroke single or duel stage?
how long did it take you to complete Jimbo?
steve

Finished half an hour ago!
Not metal, but a shared production with wifey ;)
A "literature holder" (brutally copied from a photo I've seen on Pinterest) for the apartment we rent to tourists.

literature_holder_2.jpg

The canvas is a piece of bedsheet of wifey's granny (the one who kept the goat in my current shop) probably older than the most of your vintage lathes, while the side is a scrap of marine plywood kindly offered by the stevedores co-operative. I bought just the 8 mm wood rods for the canvas support (a threaded rod would be a waste of metal and a source of rust).

literature_holder_1.jpg

Here is the wood "before" and "after": sanded with 120 grit paper, a coat of walnut dye, some sanding with 220 grit, another coat of walnut dye, another 220 sanding and some bee wax. Now it's smooth as… well, you know what.

literature_holder_wood.jpg

literature_holder_1.jpg literature_holder_2.jpg literature_holder_wood.jpg

Back