2014 POTD Thread Archive

I have the same lathe and have been thinking about a carriage stop. So if the carriage hits the stop, I guess it just blows the fuse/breaker right? It seems like there should be some way to have it disengage the drive.

Anyway, looks great and you sure can't argue about the price.

It's not really meant to stop the carriage when using the power feed. More just to run the carriage up to when machining to a shoulder. Every lathe i have use over the years has had one and I guess I'm just used to using them. When I get a chance I will finish it by breaking the corners and stuff but I needed it for a job as soon as it was functional.

John

Was in the shop, looked out the window where the new pole barn shop site is, looked again where I want the far door to go, was thinking man I dont want that tree there, thought about the $$$ quote the tree service guy gave me to fell it, thought about how much 2" closed cell foam that could buy for the radiant floor heat, grabbed the chainsaw, put on the 20" bar, and cut down a HUGE cherry tree that had two crazy big trunks.

Was in the shop, looked out the window where the new pole barn shop site is, looked again where I want the far door to go, was thinking man I dont want that tree there, thought about the $$$ quote the tree service guy gave me to fell it, thought about how much 2" closed cell foam that could buy for the radiant floor heat, grabbed the chainsaw, put on the 20" bar, and cut down a HUGE cherry tree that had two crazy big trunks.
Mill that tree up for lumber and you can make some more money for the barn/shop. It would be a shame to just burn it.

Well, today I quoted this, as usual, I only get the fun stuff. If I get the order....I will show every step here. Material is 9840R at about 24HRC....finish surface is r1.6 metric in microns. Is going to be a tough week...my head has started to live the possibilities.

i cut several of those level winds years ago. blending the ends is the tricky part. i wound up just fudging them in by hand and it worked but i only had a few to do. let us know how you blend the ends? interesting project for a cnc

I have a few restoration friends that needed special thread 7/16-24tpi threaded drill press depth stops for their Canadian buffalo drill presses. Knurled some 3/4" brass round bar, drilled and tapped, chamfered and parted off a few pieces. Seems like more people want them so I will be making more.

IMG_20140617_201224.jpg

IMG_20140617_201224.jpg

i cut several of those level winds years ago. blending the ends is the tricky part. i wound up just fudging them in by hand and it worked but i only had a few to do. let us know how you blend the ends? interesting project for a cnc

I have three options, use both chucks in the turning center to hold the bar, then use one live station with an endmill to go through all, or use a dead cut off bit to thread and then do the ends, or use the five axes machine, grab it sticking up the turning table, turn the spindle 90 degrees and work around using the z, the x and the c axes...I know it might be difficult to imagine, as the toys I play with are a bit uncommon, I will post some pics. Each has its wisdom, specially in the programming. What do you suggest?

Those are looking great. What kind of scoot are they going to be part of?

-Ron

A Harley Sportster is getting a GSXR front end and a BIG Fatboy front tire. Not my bikes. I ride a 2010 Vmax.

And yes - Once in the new building, a chip containment enclosure is ON THE LIST!!

I have three options, use both chucks in the turning center to hold the bar, then use one live station with an endmill to go through all, or use a dead cut off bit to thread and then do the ends, or use the five axes machine, grab it sticking up the turning table, turn the spindle 90 degrees and work around using the z, the x and the c axes...I know it might be difficult to imagine, as the toys I play with are a bit uncommon, I will post some pics. Each has its wisdom, specially in the programming. What do you suggest?

no suggestions here i did mine way befor cnc. if you can wright the "G"code for it your in business. i just built a cnc router last year and am just learning the process. good luck with it and keep us posted on progress. Dan way up in Maine

A Harley Sportster is getting a GSXR front end and a BIG Fatboy front tire. Not my bikes. I ride a 2010 Vmax.

And yes - Once in the new building, a chip containment enclosure is ON THE LIST!!

Sounds like a cool project. Nice job on the triple trees.

Mike.

Last year wifey restored an old sideboard.
She made a little mistake with the painting, however: we "inherited" many cans from a painter, and she used a bi-component paint for floor to finish it. Alas, the hardener was dead, and she left just the first coat of paint, covering the top of the sideboard with a tablecloth.
A year later, the paint on the top was still sticky! :lmao:
Wifey asked me to sand it away.
I got a bottle of turpentine and a rug and try to wash away the paint. Then I try to remove it with a putty knife. At last, in the small square I cleaned, I applied the big sander, and after two seconds the sandpaper looked like toffee. :rofl:
Time for plan B!
I removed the top and turned it upside down: there were just a few nails to remove…

sideboard_1.jpg

I made some putty cleaning the bandsaw and dipping the dust into walnut dye and wax (cheaper…), then I gave a first coat of walnut dye:

sideboard_2.jpg

BTW, years ago the quality control for the furniture wasn't exactly like the Ikea one: look how perfectly the door closes :lmao:

sideboard_3.jpg

sideboard_1.jpg sideboard_2.jpg sideboard_3.jpg

Back