2014 POTD Thread Archive

There has been a lot of nice work going on in here
I normally received a notice in my email about new posts in this thread and I think I stopped receiving them because I have been clicking likes instead of posting a reply. I will see if this fixes the problem.
You guys are doing some nice work and thanks for posting your photographs and videos
steve

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place, if not then I apologize. This is not what I did in the shop today but a few days earlier. I can't seem to find the time to do everything I would like to do. I enjoy reading the articles and especially seeing pictures of what everyone does so I'm trying to repay by posting some pictures of what I do. I'm not a machinist but have done machine work part time for about 30 years. OK now on to the project----I do some machine work for a place that does electrical motor repairs so in the pictures you will see a picture of the end of an electrical motor that once used a bushing to support the shaft and now that bushing is no longer available so I machined the bore where the bushing was and replaced it with a sleeve to fit a bearing. By the time the material cleaned up on the OD it was about .005 undersize so I knurled - maybe not the correct thing to do but it made for a tight fit. Sorry for the long post.

140611_0003.jpg140611_0002.jpg140611_0005.jpg140611_0006.jpg140611_0007.jpg

140611_0003.jpg 140611_0002.jpg 140611_0005.jpg 140611_0006.jpg 140611_0007.jpg

Milling with the Avey. In preparation for fabricating a new gib for the knee I need to make a 30 degree 16" long fixture from heavy angle. Bolted the piece down to the table and milled the long side to 2.75", hoping to hit it within .01" or so. Turned out 2.749 at one end, 2.750" at the other (+-.0005) according to my caliper. This despite needing to stop part way through and relocate the piece on the table as I don't have 16" of travel. Looks like all my scraping and lapping of the Grizzly table paid off. I knew it trammed to within a thou but I did not expect to get results that good. This thing actually works!

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place, if not then I apologize. This is not what I did in the shop today but a few days earlier. I can't seem to find the time to do everything I would like to do. I enjoy reading the articles and especially seeing pictures of what everyone does so I'm trying to repay by posting some pictures of what I do. I'm not a machinist but have done machine work part time for about 30 years. OK now on to the project----I do some machine work for a place that does electrical motor repairs so in the pictures you will see a picture of the end of an electrical motor that once used a bushing to support the shaft and now that bushing is no longer available so I machined the bore where the bushing was and replaced it with a sleeve to fit a bearing. By the time the material cleaned up on the OD it was about .005 undersize so I knurled - maybe not the correct thing to do but it made for a tight fit. Sorry for the long post.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/images/icons/icon14.png
don't cut your self short if you can save a part with a .005" undercut you are a Machinist
Bob

Good to be back in the shop! Working on a carbon fiber stabilizer set-up for my daughter's bow.hu4esuqa.jpg

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Got the carbon fiber tubing cut for the rear v bars and the ends epoxied in place.

My daughter wants a red and black theme. She likes the red orings but I am not sold on them yet.
eqyquper.jpg

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Today I started work on the Crankshaft Center Bearing holder for The "Howell V4 " 4 cycle gas engine. This is a Jerry E. Howell design and I bought the plans and started this project about 3 years ago. Because of some major life changes during that time I am slightly behind, but trying to catch up. This has been a challenging project and not something to be rushed. As I move along I will post more pictures.

bearing holder 001.JPGbearing holder 002.JPGbearing holder 003.JPGV4 001.JPG

bearing holder 001.JPG bearing holder 002.JPG bearing holder 003.JPG V4 001.JPG

That last picture is so darn cool looking!! I have never thought about doing a project like this but I may have to put one on my bucket list!!

Today I started work on the Crankshaft Center Bearing holder for The "Howell V4 " 4 cycle gas engine. This is a Jerry E. Howell design and I bought the plans and started this project about 3 years ago. Because of some major life changes during that time I am slightly behind, but trying to catch up. This has been a challenging project and not something to be rushed. As I move along I will post more pictures.

View attachment 79177View attachment 79178View attachment 79179View attachment 79180

Back