2014 POTD Thread Archive

I loaned a buddy my valve spring compressor to use on his 4 wheeler. They have some really small valve springs and he carved a spacer out of a brass pipe fitting so I made him a proper one. Now he can get the keepers out with out a bent valve.!!

View attachment 79357

Nice job. I will have to update mine. I have a piece of 4130 chromoly tubing that I cut and farbicated mine out of. I then put it on the end of a cut and modified C-clamp.

I like yours better.

Mike.

Which type of movement will control the latch?
Maybe you can find a different solution.
It is like a cuff, it holds the tool holder so you can tight the nut that holds the collet with the tool. The allen screw is on purpose sticking out to fit in a flat grove to prevent spinning. The latch is a great solution, but bending such a heavy wire is tough. I need to find a thinner gauge wire, bend it to shape and temper it. It will only control the cuff from opening. This stations are of common use with cnc machines. But common toolholder in america is the CAT40 and 50, my machine is german and uses HSK63. So I had to build my own. A screw with a handle coud do, but is less practical.

Another after hours job

Using a 12 point socket I made an insert to then be able to undo square headed wheel studs on dual wheel applications.
Unfortunately a standard remover was not included in wheel removal kit.
ddSide_12_pt[1].JPGSocket_used[1].JPG12_point_used_[1].JPG

Side_12_pt[1].JPG Socket_used[1].JPG 12_point_used_[1].JPG

It was yesterday but i made a 0 taper with 3/8 -24 threads To put a drill chuck in the tailstock of my new 109 lathe and i made a new tool post for it as well. I also figured out how to make a scroll gear in a cnc mill at my work. Unfortunately i now have the idea to try and make my own 4 jaw scroll chuck for the 109 i had always wanted to make a chuck but the scroll was the problem. I made the program in conversational and it only took ten minutes to program. I still need to play with the programing to be able to make the matching jaws.

I own a HF Mini Mill that I converted to 2 axis CNC last year. About a month ago I bought an Air Spring Kit from LMS to replace the torsion spring assy. that came on the mill. It includes a longer rack to get full travel in the Z direction. It works slick and is a definite improvement to the mill.air spring 001.JPGair spring 002.JPGair spring 003.JPGair spring 004.JPG

air spring 001.JPG air spring 002.JPG air spring 003.JPG air spring 004.JPG

How did you cut the square hole?
AP ...

The square is 20 mm
While the blank was on the lathe I drilled a 19 mm hole
After clamping in the rotary table via a 3 jaw
I centered the 19mm hole under my mill center.
Using a colleted end mill 1/4 "
I moved the table the calculated amount to end up at 20 mm semi-finished square size
The remaining material in the corners was then filled to fit the square heads.

* In order to undo these wheel studs the 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar needed an additional 6 foot pipe as leverage. They were tight.

Back