2014 POTD Thread Archive

AP ...

The square is 20 mm
While the blank was on the lathe I drilled a 19 mm hole
After clamping in the rotary table via a 3 jaw
I centered the 19mm hole under my mill center.
Using a colleted end mill 1/4 "
I moved the table the calculated amount to end up at 20 mm semi-finished square size
The remaining material in the corners was then filled to fit the square heads.

* In order to undo these wheel studs the 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar needed an additional 6 foot pipe as leverage. They were tight.

Only problem I see is that your 12 point socket is going to have a hard time not breaking if you get onto some really tough nuts. I've worked on some old military vehicles that a six foot cheater wouldn't start to budge.

- - - Updated - - -

AP ...

The square is 20 mm
While the blank was on the lathe I drilled a 19 mm hole
After clamping in the rotary table via a 3 jaw
I centered the 19mm hole under my mill center.
Using a colleted end mill 1/4 "
I moved the table the calculated amount to end up at 20 mm semi-finished square size
The remaining material in the corners was then filled to fit the square heads.

* In order to undo these wheel studs the 3/4 drive socket and breaker bar needed an additional 6 foot pipe as leverage. They were tight.

Only problem I see is that your 12 point socket is going to have a hard time not breaking if you get onto some really tough nuts. I've worked on some old military vehicles that a six foot cheater wouldn't start to budge.

Invest in either oxy / acet or LPG set, insurance you win eveytime.

Unobtainable Scammell Whitworth castellated nuts R us... just used the old one to set up the cut, the marked the vice jaws with a square to locate the new one.

DSCF3770.JPG

DSCF3770.JPG

Made some tool holder holders today. This was not my idea, i just blatantly stole the idea. I had to buy some of the nuts for the strut channel and every thing else was on hand.
All was done on a cutoff saw, belt sander and a mill to drill the holes.
I used up all the 2" aluminum angle I had or I would have made more.

John

TOOL HOLDER HOLDER-1.jpg TOOL HOLDER HOLDER-2.jpg TOOL HOLDER HOLDER-3.jpg

Do you use it? It is obsessively clean or fastidiusly mantained! Im impressed.

Do you use it? It is obsessively clean or fastidiusly mantained! Im impressed.

Yes I use it but it is only a couple months old. I do tend to keep my machines clean though. I find I can work more efficiently and comfortably with a clean machine and tools put where they belong.

John

Made some tool holder holders today. This was not my idea, i just blatantly stole the idea. I had to buy some of the nuts for the strut channel and every thing else was on hand.
All was done on a cutoff saw, belt sander and a mill to drill the holes.
I used up all the 2" aluminum angle I had or I would have made more.

John

Wowsers! That's a great way to do it - especially since can easily space them out as needed (ie, for the wider tool holders, or those that have a tangential mounted). I've done these with wood, etc. Now I'll have to re-do them.

I could not find a machinist tool box or storage box to fit the tools in the way I wanted to store them. Store built ones use drawer space inefficiently. So, I built one - see pics below - it is made from Red Maranti furniture grade 1/2 inch plywood along with Scrap Philippine mahogany solid wood that was once used for shelves for the drawer fronts. - between each drawer is a dust divider from the same 1/2 inch plywood - the overall cabinet dimensions are 28 1/2 wide X 17 deep (16 1/4 inch drawer depth front to back, and 42 inches high = drawers range from 3 1/2 inch to 6 inch inside dimensions. Top folds open for 3 1/2 deep top storage with 3 1/2 inch depth lid. Will finish when weather becomes cooler here. (it's 97 degrees with 88% humidity which is about 110 degrees inside the shop = fans just make fast hot air.
It's so hot here.... OK, How hot is it? It's so hot, a dog was chasing a cat and they both were walking..... !:roflmao::reddevil:

Pics below:

DSC01545.JPGDSC01546.JPGDSC01547.JPGDSC01548.JPGDSC01541.JPGDSC01542.JPGDSC01543.JPGDSC01544.JPG

What do Ya'll think - any comments?

DSC01545.JPG DSC01546.JPG DSC01547.JPG DSC01548.JPG DSC01541.JPG DSC01542.JPG DSC01543.JPG DSC01544.JPG

I like it, and I really like re purposing things, it will look even better with a couple of coats of finish.

Back