2014 POTD Thread Archive

Need some of this stuff. Do not recall where I got it.
View attachment 80869
Charl

I recall seeing some, in various nesting sizes, at a Phoenix area steel supplier, Industrial Metal Supply. Theirs was unpainted but galvanized. You might want to check a steel supplier near you, or else go to IMS' website, http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/

This type of punched/nesting square tubing should be relatively easy to find at a metal supplier, as I'm pretty sure it's the stuff used for street signs all over the West, if not the whole country.

Best wishes!

Sweet! Very nice work!

Did you feed by compound, cross slide or a combination? I'm asking because the work looks fantastic and I've got a few machinist buds and they all have their own personal preferences. A couple like to finish the last couple of passes with the cross slide feeding straight in and another uses strictly the compound. I've tries both ways and don't really see a lot of difference in the finished product.

Just wondering which method you used here.

Thanks for sharing.

Dale

Hi Dale

Thanks for the kind words. Well, after a lot of reading and video watching, I ended up using a combination of feeds. It just seemed to make the most sense. My lathe is a Grizzly G4003G. The compound was set at 60 degrees. I advanced the compound for the majority of the thread depth and the last 5 or so thou was completed with the cross slide. It seemed to work really well. The lathe was running at 70 RPM and all the threads in the pic were 13 TPI. The tool I used, which I really like, is an Aloris #8 threading with a HSS blade.

Bob
Aloris 8 Threading Tool.jpg

Aloris 8 Threading Tool.jpg

I recall seeing some, in various nesting sizes, at a Phoenix area steel supplier, Industrial Metal Supply. Theirs was unpainted but galvanized. You might want to check a steel supplier near you, or else go to IMS' website, http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/

This type of punched/nesting square tubing should be relatively easy to find at a metal supplier, as I'm pretty sure it's the stuff used for street signs all over the West, if not the whole country.

Best wishes!

If I recall correctly, the product name is Telspar and we used to get it from the same supplier who sold Unistrut products. I have seen smaller sizes of this in the metal rack at our local Lowe's store. We used it for sign posts on state highways.

Pat

The emergency brake cable system on my 19 yr old Ford F150 failed because of a junction block between the pedal0723141943.jpg0723141944.jpg and wheel cables rusted away. Ford doesn't stock them any more so I had to machine one. I used a piece of 1" x 1" sq stock x 3 5/8" long. I hope it lasts until the tow truck claims it. The truck already has 210,000 miles on it, but I have enough confidence in it to do a valve job and a new set of tires.

Oh I'm sorry. I guess this should have been listed in "What I did on my mill today" .

0723141943.jpg 0723141944.jpg

The emergency brake cable system on my 19 yr old Ford F150 failed because of a junction block between the pedal and wheel cables rusted away. Ford doesn't stock them any more so I had to machine one. I used a piece of 1" x 1" sq stock x 3 5/8" long. I hope it lasts until the tow truck claims it. The truck already has 210,000 miles on it, but I have enough confidence in it to do a valve job and a new set of tires.

Oh I'm sorry. I guess this should have been listed in "What I did on my mill today" .

Without the mill you'd have to junk your Ford and buy a new one.
Thus, the value ("use value") of your mill is equivalent to that of a new truck.

(marketroids hate me :rofl:)

Custom seals to my motorcycle

[video=youtube_share;NBOYdJxbWIQ]http://youtu.be/NBOYdJxbWIQ[/video]

My Hamilton sensitive drill press needed a travel stop assembly for the quill. So, today I made one. Everything is made from 1141. I used a geometric die head to do the all thread. I did not do any math to accomplish the knurling. I did put a heavy 45° chamfer on both sides of the area to be knurled. I always do the chamfer before knurling and not after the knurl is made. This is aesthetics for me only, I like the way the knurl ends doing it this way. The knurling tool used has two wheels and closes down on center with the work…Good Luck.travelstop2a.JPGtravelstop2.JPG

travelstop2a.JPG travelstop2.JPG

I made a drill press depth stop for a friends Buffalo 18. This was actually done a while ago.

[video=youtube_share;YpE0P8Uqg-o]http://youtu.be/YpE0P8Uqg-o[/video]

For measuring the deck height on VWs you use a similar tool but usually it clamps on all the head studs for the cylinder in order to make sure the cylinder is in the same position as it will be when the head is put on. I don't know if Harleys have through studs or if it's possible or necessary to do it the same way

Back