2014 POTD Thread Archive

Today I made a rocker for a tool post, and some smaller ones for a quick change tool post. It might not seem like much, but it took me nearly three weeks. Let me explain. I was going to rough cut and grind them, but I thought better of it. I had a bandsaw project and a lathe milling project (both posted above) that would make the job much easier. So I completed them and the first products are these new rockers.

Tim B, I took the liberty of lightening your picture as it was nearly as dark as a Craigslist post itself:

shop.jpg

You should probably mount some plywood on the wall behind your machines. I predict you will be adding tools and that might be a good place to store them. I also use cheap gooseneck lamps mounted above as individual machine lights. I got them for $5 - $6 at family dollar.

It does look like your shop is on its way.

Charles

shop.jpg

Actually I am covering the week here.

1. change gear bolts and bushings for my south bend lathe.

2.Draw bar for the vertical head on my Burke mill.

3.! 1/4 inch arbor for my Burke mill.

4. zero - it style indicator holder.

5. cheese head screws for my lathe apron.

Change gear bushing and bolt.jpgburke mill vertical head drawbar.jpginch and a quarter arbor for Burke mill.jpgcheese head screws for saddle to apron on 9 lathe.jpgcompleted arbor.jpgZero it style indicator holder.jpg

:)) Mark

Change gear bushing and bolt.jpg burke mill vertical head drawbar.jpg inch and a quarter arbor for Burke mill.jpg cheese head screws for saddle to apron on 9 lathe.jpg completed arbor.jpg Zero it style indicator holder.jpg

Actually I am covering the week here.

1. change gear bolts and bushings for my south bend lathe.

2.Draw bar for the vertical head on my Burke mill.

3.! 1/4 inch arbor for my Burke mill.

4. zero - it style indicator holder.

5. cheese head screws for my lathe apron.

How do you get such beautiful finishes?

View attachment 81417View attachment 81418View attachment 81419View attachment 81420View attachment 81421View attachment 81422

:)) Mark

How do you get such beautiful finishes???

​Mark nice work did you do the working prints also ?Keep it coming.********************
******************Just Saying******************Gator*****

Nice work on all the parts. The Zero-it is quickly climbing my need to do list. Did you make or find plans for it?

John

T

Tim B, I took the liberty of lightening your picture as it was nearly as dark as a Craigslist post itself:

View attachment 81416

You should probably mount some plywood on the wall behind your machines. I predict you will be adding tools and that might be a good place to store them. I also use cheap gooseneck lamps mounted above as individual machine lights. I got them for $5 - $6 at family dollar.

There is a bit more light in there than the photo leads you to believe. I'd like to put up a full tool board behind my machines, but the photo doesn't really convey that the table is 3' deep and the center of the lathe spindle is currently 5' from the floor level. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the 6" casters off of the base of the table.

Time to go get the carriage feed straightened out so it will feed more than 1" at a time.

I'll look for the lights at Family Dollar.

There is a bit more light in there than the photo leads you to believe. I'd like to put up a full tool board behind my machines, but the photo doesn't really convey that the table is 3' deep and the center of the lathe spindle is currently 5' from the floor level. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the 6" casters off of the base of the table.

Time to go get the carriage feed straightened out so it will feed more than 1" at a time.

I'll look for the lights at Family Dollar.

Five feet is fairly high. I happen to be 5'8" so I know it wouldn't work for me. I'd probably take the casters off and save them.

I had an epiphany the other day that might help. I was leveling my bandsaw and trying to figure out the best way to raise and lower each corner quickly. I thought about using a screw jack, but that is not very fast. So I went with a lever then braced it with a block of wood. It worked great. I was thinking about patenting it.

I keep a box about 12" high near my work bench. It helps me reach above the bench to shelves on the wall and also provides a platform to stand on when I need to reach around the back of my machines.

I bought two more lamps yesterday to use as individual machine lights. They look about like this picture and cost $6 each:

lamp.jpg

You can drill a couple of holes through the base (look out for the wires) and mount them horizontally. I'm going to attach one above a lathe and mount another directly on my bandsaw.

Good luck with everything.

Charles

lamp.jpg

I finally made a replacement lock-down nut for the tool holder on my lathe:

693C2E99-A5D9-48CA-AA89-A17EACAE219A_zpsli9cxhi9.jpg

I've been planning to make one of these for a while. Realized I had a perfect handle sitting in my pile of "spare" parts, so no time like the present.
Even used my recently complete tilt-table to mill the starter hole for the handle at *exactly* 20 degrees (it's so important that angle is precise ;))

693C2E99-A5D9-48CA-AA89-A17EACAE219A_zpsli9cxhi9.jpg

I finally made a replacement lock-down nut for the tool holder on my lathe:

View attachment 81551

I've been planning to make one of these for a while. Realized I had a perfect handle sitting in my pile of "spare" parts, so no time like the present.
Even used my recently complete tilt-table to mill the starter hole for the handle at *exactly* 20 degrees (it's so important that angle is precise ;))

And I like the mag strip to hold the chip brushers & other stuff.

Back