2014 POTD Thread Archive

Re: POTD - Project of the Day- What Did You Do in Your Shop Today? The Trash Compactor

The Trash Compactor or How to Stuff 105 gal of Trash into a 35 Gal Trash Can

It is a slow day so I thought I would share this, I actually made this a while back out of scraps I had laying around. The local transfer station wants $12 / can to dump, and I want the best value I can get. Most of what is in a trash can is air, so I just remove it. The nice thing about this forklift is that it powers down as well as up, I just push until the front wheels come off the ground.

Full first can
IMG_0238.jpg

First squish, then a couple more for good measure
IMG_0239.jpg

The next can ready for squishing into the first can
IMG_0241.jpg

2 1/2 cans worth and I still have room in the first can for almost another can.
IMG_0242.jpg

I have been doing this for a while, and it doesn't seem to hurt the cans, thank you RubberMaid.

IMG_0242.jpg IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0241.jpg

Re: POTD - Project of the Day- What Did You Do in Your Shop Today? The Trash Compactor

I have been doing this for a while, and it doesn't seem to hurt the cans, thank you RubberMaid.

May I suggest you to make a cement "female" for that job?
So your RubberMaids will last even longer!

For measuring the deck height on VWs you use a similar tool but usually it clamps on all the head studs for the cylinder in order to make sure the cylinder is in the same position as it will be when the head is put on. I don't know if Harleys have through studs or if it's possible or necessary to do it the same way

Samce here. The checking tool is torqued on a stud and I have special nuts that true the cylinder to the deck and bore. Sounds like we get to the same place about the same way.

Today I made up a 3/18-16 drawbar for my Minimil so I can use my 3/4 end mill holder. The normal drawbar is M12-1.75.

The Trash Compactor or How to Stuff 105 gal of Trash into a 35 Gal Trash Can

It is a slow day so I thought I would share this, I actually made this a while back out of scraps I had laying around. The local transfer station wants $12 / can to dump, and I want the best value I can get. Most of what is in a trash can is air, so I just remove it. The nice thing about this forklift is that it powers down as well as up, I just push until the front wheels come off the ground.

Full first can
View attachment 81311

First squish, then a couple more for good measure
View attachment 81312

The next can ready for squishing into the first can
View attachment 81313

2 1/2 cans worth and I still have room in the first can for almost another can.
View attachment 81310

I bet the garbage man hates you...LOL

I'm sure someone on the firearms part of the forum is calculating the cubic units of pressure on that can and comparing it to their reloading manuals :lmao:

I'm sure someone on the firearms part of the forum is calculating the cubic units of pressure on that can and comparing it to their reloading manuals :lmao:

Been using compressed loads for years.
Some powders preform differently under compression and the loads have to be checked for temperature sensitivety to assure safe loads.
But maybe I'm not at the pressure that machine is getting.
Hmm! Glad you mentioned that idea. Thanks!
Gotta go look for a backhoe.

I put all of the craigslist purchases together today:

1 huge rolling table that used to hold a 4 head sewing machine
1 ¾" piece of plywood for the table top
1 9x20 lathe
1 mini mill

Bolted it all down. Installed the QCTP and 4 bolt compound attachment. Dropped a new carbide cutter in and made a couple of chips.

2014-08-03214657_zps4f7c60f0.jpg

Got back on Dannys tractor, and did some pto work for one of mine. The preasure plates are really pitted, mostly from tractors sitting in the weeds. Most times the clutch are stuck. In worst case, like this pitted. I cleaned them up, and put a new clutch disk in. Also made a new drive shaft, but after hooking the fork up, I need to do some changes.

clutch disk 1.jpgclutch disk 2.jpgclutch disk 3.jpgdrive shaft.jpg

Then I built a pto for one of my tractors. Tis has been setting on the shelf for I know 5 years waiting to be done.

PTO1.jpgPTO 2.jpgPTO 3.jpgPTO 4.jpg

clutch disk 1.jpg clutch disk 2.jpg clutch disk 3.jpg drive shaft.jpg PTO1.jpg PTO 2.jpg PTO 3.jpg PTO 4.jpg

Back