2015 POTD Thread Archive

For making point clouds, basically modeling, put a part down, and touch all around it, taking readings with software that digitized said part, then you can eventually get to cutting out a copy

Reactions: rwm
Personally I'm going to purchase a genuine Renishaw styli from ebay for the same cost

Nothing extraordinary but you asked what I did in my shop today so here it is.....

Made an ER32 collet chuck with 3/4'' through hole for long work in a D1-4 spindle. Started with a 2,5 lb. dumbbell weight from Walmart, made a 1 1/4'' x 8 tpi spindle nose adapter and then the body of the chuck. Nut and collets were purchased.

Cast ??? of dumbbell was the worst stuff I ever have had to cut and had to work around some problems with it. IMG_1509.JPGIMG_1505.JPGIMG_1507.JPG

I needed some more up-close task lighting......I collected some bits, like a couple 12V wall-wart power supplies, some rare-earth magnets, LED replacements for auto tail-lights, coolant hose, reflector from old flashlight, etc.

Wow those magnet are so strong I needed two sets of pliers to pull them apart.
They are 1" diameter and fit perfectly into the 1-1/4" outside square tube with just a gentle tap from a rubber mallet.

Nice man, I just started a similar project myself.

I have been working on a project and I needed to turn the full OD of some UHMW cylinders. First I faced the ends as square is I could get them with each other, then drilled and reamed a 0.375 hole through on the center line. I started the hole with a 1/2 inch center drill so I would have some meat left with a 60 degree taper for the center after drilling and reaming.

The OD has to be concentric with the bore, so here's what I came up with. The points drive the part and the dowel pin in the center keeps it in alignment. I made the points out of 10-24 set screws. With the center in the other end, I'm pretty sure the bore and the OD are concentric.

upload_2015-12-16_22-41-21.png

Worked great, I got all 12 pieces done. I took about 0.600 off of the OD in 3 passes.
upload_2015-12-16_22-41-49.png

Nothing extraordinary but you asked what I did in my shop today so here it is.....

Made an ER32 collet chuck with 3/4'' through hole for long work in a D1-4 spindle. Started with a 2,5 lb. dumbbell weight from Walmart, made a 1 1/4'' x 8 tpi spindle nose adapter and then the body of the chuck. Nut and collets were purchased.

Cast ??? of dumbbell was the worst stuff I ever have had to cut and had to work around some problems with it. View attachment 116748View attachment 116749View attachment 116750

Jim - nice job! I can't tell from your pictures if there is a flat surface that mates up to the spindle face. How do you keep the collet chuck from pulling off center when tightening the locking lugs?

Tom S.

Started with a 2,5 lb. dumbbell weight from Walmart, made a 1 1/4'' x 8 tpi spindle nose adapter and then the body of the chuck. Nut and collets were purchased.

Cast ??? of dumbbell was the worst stuff I ever have had to cut and had to work around some problems with it.

that's an interesting approach. Did you do it that way to use the collet chuck end on another machine with a 1 1/4 x 8 spindle?

Tom,
The back of the dumbbell is not flat. There is a shallow recess to fit the spindle nose very tight. Even with that however I was concerned about the plate rocking on the nose if the lugs were not tightened evenly. Plan A was to mount the plate and zero it with a DTI, then glue the nuts and studs in position. This rather rigid set up has very good repeatability so plan B and plan C were not needed.

I have been measuring runout of the ER taper in the chuck every time it is installed and get less than ,0005''. Deliberately trying to pull off centre with the studs did not work so my level of confidence in it is running high.

Cheers, Mike

IMG_1511.JPG

Back