2015 POTD Thread Archive

Matt,

My original project was to buy a Beall chuck kit available for different threaded spindles. It seemed like the least expensive way to get started with ER collets back several months ago. Hence the adapter. But because of the Canadian dollar is slipping really low these days the landed cost of a Beall chuck is exorbitant (too bad cause their price in the US is very reasonable.)

I decided to try making my own chuck body but follow the same approach in case my project did not work out. Then it would still be 'Beall ready'. The versatility of the components is a plus that I appreciate but it was not a main objective.

Tom,
The back of the dumbbell is not flat. There is a shallow recess to fit the spindle nose very tight. Even with that however I was concerned about the plate rocking on the nose if the lugs were not tightened evenly. Plan A was to mount the plate and zero it with a DTI, then glue the nuts and studs in position. This rather rigid set up has very good repeatability so plan B and plan C were not needed.

I have been measuring runout of the ER taper in the chuck every time it is installed and get less than ,0005''. Deliberately trying to pull off centre with the studs did not work so my level of confidence in it is running high.

Cheers, Mike

View attachment 116786

Mike - I apologize. I had read Jim Dawson's post above yours and had brain fade. Anyway the finished products looks great. Have fun with it.

Tom S.

Jim - nice job! I can't tell from your pictures if there is a flat surface that mates up to the spindle face. How do you keep the collet chuck from pulling off center when tightening the locking lugs?

Tom S.

I think this question was directed to my post. Thank you Tom. I just have the pins sticking out the same amount and they are just pressed into the flat face of the part when the tailstock is tightened. The collet chuck really can't go anywhere, that's a pretty ridged setup.

Matt,

My original project was to buy a Beall chuck kit available for different threaded spindles. It seemed like the least expensive way to get started with ER collets back several months ago. Hence the adapter. But because of the Canadian dollar is slipping really low these days the landed cost of a Beall chuck is exorbitant (too bad cause their price in the US is very reasonable.)

I decided to try making my own chuck body but follow the same approach in case my project did not work out. Then it would still be 'Beall ready'. The versatility of the components is a plus that I appreciate but it was not a main objective.

interesting, that makes sense. Piece of cake to add other things to the back plate too, if ever needed!

I think this question was directed to my post. Thank you Tom. I just have the pins sticking out the same amount and they are just pressed into the flat face of the part when the tailstock is tightened. The collet chuck really can't go anywhere, that's a pretty ridged setup.

Jim - Thanks for the explanation. I like the end result.

Tom S.

Back