2015 POTD Thread Archive

Joshua, if your gonna be making parts like that you need a better camera.... it looks good but I'm guessing that photo doesn't do it justice

With our 28th year wedding anniversary approching, I had come up short (way short) on a gift idea for my wife. I was making coffee yesterday morning and thinking of something to make for her when grabbing a spoon. It hit me! Some hand crafted jewelry from a incomplete set utensils we picked up used back in the day. We really had no money back then to spend on a new set, plus she always liked the stamping of a single rose with stem and leafs.
Made a quick jig from a thin wall pipe to match a bracelet she wears (crushed on iron worker) and turned a scrap piece of round stock to fit a ring she also wears that fits properly.
IMG_1136.JPG
The end results turned out pretty good considering I'm not a jewelry maker. Tig welded two spoons (end to end) for the bracket, blended the weld then heated and rolled around the pipe jig. Same process for the ring. After blending the welds (ss) the items where taken to the buffer.
IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1134.JPG
A little tight on my beaters but a nice fit on her.
She started tearing up when she put them on. Sometimes the simplest things in life really brings joy to your loved one's heart.
Now I hope "Santa" brings me a rotary table/chuck. heehee
Merry Christmas to all!!

Chevvy ,
Thank you indeed .
You have given me food for thought and a simple idea of how to make my grinding jig accurate to about one degree over both ground faces . Have you accurately scribed / etched or engraved match up points for each degree of angle on the drum & main body parts ?

She started tearing up when she put them on. Sometimes the simplest things in life really brings joy to your loved one's heart.
Now I hope "Santa" brings me a rotary table/chuck. heehee
Merry Christmas to all!!

those presents are the best of all! The girls and I try and make something for my wife every Christmas - last year was a miniature alu Christmas tree with decorations, this year will be a Christmas tree necklace made with stones we collected on the Washington coast. My eldest gets to drill the holes with a diamond bit!

I did mill into the body on top a spot for the 'pointer' but have not done the degree lines on the tool holder. I just haven't had the drive for that yet as I got my mill up and running after the cnc conversion and haven't really gotten much else done except cnc stuff. And fixing the pulley on the mill, lol after fixing that pulley I spun it up to 4200rpm and made my step soft jaws, the roughing passes were done with a 3/8 4fl hss em, at 40ipm, I was amazed at the finish at that speed, as well as that was the first time I've heard an end mill zipping through alu. (It was really loudly knocking before fixing)
When I get back to it I will probably use my Bison super spacer to do the degree marks on the mill

Back