2016 POTD Thread Archive

I made one for the SB some years ago and it served me well. Wonder if I can use it on the Grizzley?!

What I did in the shop today . Well I finished up a rolling shelving unit. I made from an old angle iron frame that was hanging around for forty years. Had a Hugh lot of heavy shelves giving to me. So I've been reusing them. I cut two of the larger ones in half with my plasma cutter . They were exact size to fit in the frame I welded them to all four corners on the back side where the shelves were cut I used INCH x INCH 1/8" thick angle. Notched the three lengths then welded those to the back with the angle up so it acts like a stop. After that wire brushed , primed and painted. Oh the wheels were on an old dolly so I just welded the two frames at the bottom. After drying I slid my 6" mill vise on one , room for more on that shelf. Another one I put my 10" rotary table on in its shipping box . Gonna be nice when I make a small crane and weld to one corner. No more carrying them on my lap. Yahoooooo

Um, I got a promotion and a 30% raise. So that's very good because it means it will be much easier to fit some tooling into the budget here and there. But it also means I'm going to be more busy, and therefore have less time in the shop. Figures.

I choose to think that means I have that much more need for the tooling. Have to maximize how effectively I use my time there, right? :)

Congrats
Um, I got a promotion and a 30% raise. So that's very good because it means it will be much easier to fit some tooling into the budget here and there. But it also means I'm going to be more busy, and therefore have less time in the shop. Figures.

I choose to think that means I have that much more need for the tooling. Have to maximize how effectively I use my time there, right? :)

Congrats on the new job and added income.

Tom S.

I happened to be on YouTube when you published it. Great video. I like your solution for milling the taper. Nothing like making a part so you can make a part. :)

Thanks man, now i just need to recover from helping my brother move over the last 3 days so i can get into the shop and work on the next part.

Made a spindle copy of my King 1022 lathe (same as Grizzly G0602) so that I can make an ER40 adapter to use the new collet set I bought last week. The spindle copy will let me check the collet adapter threads, without having to remove it from the chuck. Thanks to Jim Schroeder for this great idea.

Used some mystery steel from the scrap yard.

upload_2016-10-7_19-40-0.png

I turned the threads and the collar first then flipped it end for end and turned the plug stub. I discovered some damage on the collar by the threads, that was caused by the chuck so I mounted it between centers (first time) and just used the morse tapers to turn it and took very light cuts to remove the burrs caused by the chuck.

Worked great.

upload_2016-10-7_19-45-37.png

I know the finish should be better but I should improve with more practice. Another pic of it on the bench.

upload_2016-10-7_19-47-22.png

And here it is attached to the 4 jaw. A nice snug fit on the collar and I think it's a very good fit on the backing plate.

upload_2016-10-7_19-57-35.png

I'm pleased with the end result (other than the finish) but I need a lot more practice because this took a very long time to complete. I figured it would take me a couple of hours but it took a little :rolleyes: more time than that.

But it's all good. The more I do the more I learn.

That was the easy part. The adapter is going to take me forever because it involves internal threads which I haven't done yet, external metric threads and an 8* taper. I should be able to report back with the results in a month or 2 :D.

I'm still working on my Yamaha XS650 project and fitting the Buell forks to it. One challenge in this is the front brake. I was planning to use the single Buell 340mm rotor because I have a caliper and it would be way lighter than a dual caliper set up with two 290mm rotors from a Yamaha XS1100 that I also considered.

I bought a used Buell brake rotor on eBay and was going to machine an adapter to make the 5 bolt hole Buell rotor fit the 6 bolt hole Yamaha wheel. Unfortunately the Buell rotor was bent. I shot a video and sent it to the vendor and he promptly refunded my money and told me to scrap the rotor.

I decided that the bent Buell rotor might be usable if only the aluminum carrier is bent and not the stainless steel braking surface. I removed the 9 buttons attaching the 2 parts together and checked the steel part on my surface plate and it appears to be dead flat. I decided to attempt to make a hybrid rotor using a Yamaha disc and the outer part of the Buell rotor.
Here's the Buell rotor with the center removed laying over the Yamaha one. This might work!

20161003_164431_zps2gjfyy7t.jpg

I measured the button hole radius on the mill and laid out and spot drilled the 9 holes in the Yamaha rotor.

20161007_120747_zpsnkyvydaj.jpg

I then drilled them to 21/32" or .656" matching the size of the holes in the Buell rotor.

20161007_123902_zpsfvmxtoxx.jpg

When I checked the hole layout against the Buell rotor it matched perfectly, that was a relief.

20161007_124146_zpspfpikuug.jpg

th_20161007_124415_zpszoqcubnq.mp4.jpg

I measured the OD of the Buell rotor carrier and set up a 1/4" end mill to cut out that circle on the Yamaha rotor.

20161007_131720_zpszvtirgs3.jpg

20161007_133113_zpsky5zcq80.jpg

20161007_133241_zps4ay7n0uh.jpg

The Yamaha rotor is 2mm thicker than the Buell one so I milled a pocket at each button location so the thickness of both parts will be the same where the buttons mount.

20161007_161701_zpsoli063sh.jpg

I assembled the parts temporarily to check the fit with the old buttons and it looks good. Next I have to pick up some 303 stainless bar to make the new buttons with.

20161007_162453_zps4dqyme3r.jpg

20161007_163803_zpsobobpzzd.jpg

Time will tell if this is going to work out but all I have invested so far is the Yamaha rotor which I was not going to use anyway.

Back