2016 POTD Thread Archive

That tool to hold the buttons is pretty ingenious. I would have been holding it with my finger and been glad there are only 9. That way I would have 1 unburned finger left. Plan or no plan it sure came out nice!

I take it the angles are bolted to the vise jaws and ring size is set by adjusting the vise. Very nice.

I'm getting down on the old project list, so now I'm ticking off the little ones I've been leaving for some time. Yesterday, I finally got a stock support built for the horizontal bandsaw. I picked up a pair of small rollers at Restore last year and dug a 1" thick disk out of stock. That's as far as I got back then. Simple enough. Weld a small disk on a 3/4" nut, weld a piece of 3/4" pipe to the base, attach the roller to the threaded rod. Done and used twice already.
PA100103a.jpg

The second item off the list was a simple stop for the 6" vise I picked up last summer for the Victoria mill. The small block behind the stop is what I cut out with bandsaws to save a LOT of milling.
PA100102a.jpg

Thank you Saravin, Hawkeye.

The rollers are 1 in diameter steel, with a approx 3/16 dia groove. The axles are just 5/16 bolts and the angles 3/4 x 1/8 thick.
The angles are bolted to the vise jaws using the existing holes. The 2 back rollers are spaced about 2 1/2 in.
Drive is just by the single, front roller. The ring diameter is set by the vise opening.
This configuration allows for a minimum of about 10 in diameter ring.
I've used it to form rings of 20 in dia x 3/16 brass rod and 12 in dia x 1/8 brass rod.

Wagner

Mine would be better if the wife and grandkids would quit putting silverware down it before turning in on. For some reason I don't think that they were meant as a metal grinder.

Back